Source for ignition keys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 07:08 PM
zab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Source for ignition keys?

Does anyone know a source for ignition keys (other than the dealer)? I just lost one of mine and I just can't bring myself to pay the $30+ for the key at the local dealer.

Old 01-15-2002, 08:34 PM
Hi Zab

Seems to me you have local Key/lock shops there...see yellow pages..
They can make your key and probably cheaper than dealer.

TIP: I made an extra key..put in one of those key boxes..hid underneath truck...just have to remember where you put it

Good luck....OT

Old 01-16-2002, 01:04 AM
Here you go!!!!!!

This guy only charges 14.95 plus 5.00 s/h.

Then just take it and have it cut in your area.

GOOD LUCK!

PATS KEYS SOLD HERE!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2002, 11:27 AM
zab
Thanks for the info. I did call two local key places and they both told me that I would have to go to the dealer to get a "chip key." I'm going to get a couple of keys from Husker's online source. I already have a non-chip key (flat) that I keep in my wallet so I can at least get in and use my cell phone and now I can hide an ignition key inside and actually drive away.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

zab, that's what I do. Non-chip key in the wallet, chipped key in the truck. In addition I have a locking wallet and keep the key to that on a chain around my neck.

I was outside once and had my coat zipped all the way up and couldn't find the key to the lock on the coat zipper so, I couldn't get to the key around my neck to unlock my wallet to get to my truck door key which would allow me access to the key that would start the truck and I was Stuck!

(but, at least I had my coat on)

Old 01-16-2002, 03:31 PM
If you have a PATS key and you lost one, leaving you with only one, you'll still have to go to the dealer no matter where you get the replacement key. If you have two keys, you can program the third yourself. If you only have one, you need the dealer to hook up their computer to your truck to program the second key. They'll charge you at least 1/2 hour labor.

Always make sure you have THREE keys so if you lose one, leaving you two, you can always reprogram the replacement yourself.

Old 01-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Raoul,

Didn't you once lock yourself out of your convertible.....then it started to rain and your seats got wet cause you couldn't get in to put the roof up?

I hide a non-chipped key in the truck..If i only lose the key and not the remote start FOB....i can just start the truck remotely, insert non-chipped key into the ignition and away we go.....

Old 01-16-2002, 04:22 PM
Hi Zab

You didnt say you had the ign/alarm system on your truck..
I shuuda picked up on that one..guess im gettin slower?

Dennis made a good point there and the other guys also..now Raoul..well thats Raoul...

Not related..but i have a 98 Buick...ign/alarm system with remote on key chain...ign. key is chipped...found a local key shop that could duplicate that..had a machine to do that..They used the orig.chipped key to make the new chipped keys..no problem...made two..(hid one) Also have flat key but no start.

Maybe GM has a better idea/maybe not? Sometimes Ford has better ideas, sometimes not!

Good luck...OT

Old 01-17-2002, 12:55 PM
zab
I bought the truck (a '98 Expy) this past October with 2 keys and fobs. I don't understand why I would need to have had a third key in order to program a new key.

Dennis could you explain why I would need to start with 3 keys to avoid the dealer reprograming. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2002, 10:25 AM
You need two keys to program. The third is a safety margin in case you lose one, you will still have the required two to program.

Old 01-18-2002, 01:21 PM
zab
Now I get it

Sometimes I'm a real knucklehead. Just like huskers link saids "read the directions at least twice before attempting." I guess its a matter of me finding out if I have an early '98 or a later '98 to know whether or not I need two working keys. With my luck, it will be the two or I will have some variant that was in production for 2 hours that requires four keys.

It looks like a trip to the Dealer.

To everyone, thanks for the help.

Old 01-18-2002, 02:38 PM
Thumbs up

Dealer cut me a new key during an oil change after they locked us out of my truck. (Even though I specifically stated to leave key on door and roll down windows) Service advisor then tried to slim-jim it. Problem is, he didn't know both doors had anti-slimjims. Then he threw a fit because I nicely tried to explain this fact to him and how I might be able to open it if he'd let me do it. All in all, he got all red, then his face turned white, then pink.. Hehehe. That's what happens when you talk without listening first..

Old 01-18-2002, 08:50 PM
I know the local vehicle theft task force guys here and they all say the easiest way to steal a vehicle with a factory anti-theft is to find the hidden key. If your going to hide a key, install a hidden kill switch also. Best investment for the money. A bad guy may break in and steal your stuff, but he can't drive off in a hurry. Of course he may find the kill switch, but the idea is to discourage and slow down the process.

Just my $.02.

Old 01-21-2002, 09:08 AM
zab
When I hide a key in the vehicle, it is well hidden (read this as "a real pain in the neck to get at"). I feel that's reasonable price I should pay for being a fumb duck to have lost the key I'm carrying.

Old 01-24-2002, 07:02 PM
Dennis, how does one program a chip key?

Quick Reply: Source for ignition keys?