Wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiper problem

I replaced the blades on my truck a few weeks ago. The one on the passenger side completely misses a spot right in the middle of the windshield, about the size of a six inch oval. Not just a smear, it does not even touch the water drops. I tried to make sure the blades were seated in the tracks of the arm okay. Nothing changed. So I switched with the drivers side. It still missed the exact same spot. How could two different arms/blades miss the same spot? This did not happen with previous blades so there is no concave spot on the windshield. Could the whole control arm need replacing?
Ken

Old 01-18-2002, 12:15 AM
Exclamation

Sounds intriguing. Are you switching the blades only or the arms or both blades and arms? If it was a blade issue then switching blades should resolve it. If it was an arm issue then switching arms shoul resolve it. However, switching blades will not resolve an arms issue nor will switching arms for a blade issue. Switching both blades and arms will not resolve a blade issue nor will only switching blades or arms for blades and arms issue.

Did I confuse everyone??

In any case, I doubt that it is an arm issue. Try better quality blades.

Also check for correct size. (I'm not trying to say that anyone is an idiot, just simple overlook ) Incorrect sizing will curve the blade beyond "natural curve", therefore creating "missing spot" issues.

Old 01-18-2002, 01:05 AM
I'd stick with the OEM blades, but if you are set on your new ones, try getting those helper springs that you clip on right at the hinge for the wiper arms. They should apply some more pressure and help keep your blades on the glass.

Old 01-18-2002, 09:35 AM
wipers

Thanks for your replies. I was switching the arms and blades in one piece. I did not remove the new blades from the arms in which they were installed. Both blades give a nice clean wipe on the drivers side, both leave a big gap on the passenge side.
Is the passenger side on a 97 F-150 supposed to have a different size blade than the driver's side?
Maybe the "helper spring" you suggested is the answer.
Ken

Quick Reply: Wiper problem