Cleaning wax off trim - trim turned whitish!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cleaning wax off trim - trim turned whitish!

I detailed my S'Crew. Megs machine glaze, then Pinnacle paint cleaner, then pure carnuba. Whatta shine. I noticed a few days later that I had gotten some polish or wax on my trim. I tried to wipe it off with various substances, finally using a little gas on a rag - big mistake. When it dried, the trim turned kinda white! Mostly the plastic bed caps and the tailgate handle trim. The soft plastic around the windows came out clean and nice, though.

Is there something I can use to restore the trim? Was it painted and I removed paint, or is it a reaction in the plastic? TIA

Old 02-01-2002, 12:56 PM
Some use chemicals and some use, of all things, peanut butter. Yes, i tried it last weekend on some trim because some swear by it, and it worked! Freaked my buddy out when i told him and he seen what it did.

Old 02-01-2002, 01:01 PM
Removing Wax

You can what amounts to be a paint brush with 3/4" long bristles that detailers use just to remove wax from trim. Next your at Home Depot just buy a cheap paint brush with pastic bristles for under $1 and cut the bristles yourself.

Old 02-01-2002, 01:52 PM
Peanut butter for sure.

Old 02-02-2002, 07:58 PM
The easiest thing I found was applying one coat of the thick tire dressing, NOT Armor All, the thick gooey stuff. I had the same problem. I applied one coat, then wiped the surface down with a towel. It looks great, but even once it wears/washes off, the wax was gone afterwards. I found this out by accident. I use the Meguire's heavy duty tire dressing with a round wax applicator.

Old 02-02-2002, 09:11 PM
You mean Meguiars Endurance tire gel? I have some of that, and will give it a try.

You other guys should'a told me about the peanut butter BEFORE I used the gas rag. I'll use the paintbrush/peanut butter trick next time. Or better yet, I'll mask the trim off - I just bought a roll of the easy-off blue masking tape that should work well. It's hard to miss the trim when using a buffer, or when going fast with a pad. So I'll mask it off.

Oh well, my bad. Actually, it isn't that bad, and when I get my snuglid it will cover the bed caps anyway.

Live and learn. Die and forget.

Old 02-04-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by RamblinWreck
You mean Meguiars Endurance tire gel? I have some of that, and will give it a try.
\
Yup, that's the stuff. Just make sure you you wipe the plastic down after you apply it. This prevents it from staying on heavy and collecting all of the dirt that gets near it.

Old 02-04-2002, 11:44 AM
RamblinWreck
Just a suggestion. The next time you do that 3-step process on your truck try changing the order of the products.
Use the "Cleaner" first, then the Glaze and wax. The cleaner is a more aggressive product, the glaze is a very fine polish that sometimes includes oils and it should be the last thing that goes on the paint before the wax.

Old 02-04-2002, 04:41 PM
I scrubbed on the plastic w/ an old toothbrush. It seemed to work pretty well.

Although, next time I may have to try that peanut trick...

Old 02-12-2002, 05:11 PM
I masked off the sides trim but distracted by a cat fight I sat the applicator sponge on unmasked top of the bed rail. OOPS. I tried many things (not PB) and found GAS w/33 to 1 TWO cycle oil mix was the only thing that worked. It did not turn any of the plastic whitish.

Old 02-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your trim is still white from the gas, then I suggest you get a product called Forever Black. It comes with a degreaser and then the black staining stuff. You just put the degreaser off to clean the plastic and then use the black stain on it. Let it dry and there. Your trim is a nice black. Sure beats white!

I tried the peanut butter but it really didn't removed the wax. I tried my natural citrus engine degreaser and that took the wax on the trim right off.

I use masking tape on the trim now when I wax. It may seem like it takes awhile but it actually doesn't. You actually save time not having to come back and remove the wax from the trim.

Old 02-12-2002, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure what kind of waxes you guys are using, but when I get some on the bed caps, a little water and an old toothbrush takes it right off.....a little scrubbing at it, and then some tire dressing and its good as new. I would be very afraid of using any kind of petroleum distilate on my truck - anything in that family will leave white marks like that - rubbing alcohol, thinner, gas.......you name it...

Robbie

Old 02-13-2002, 06:15 PM
Peanut butter is for sandwiches

Get a small, stiff paintbrush and some electrical tape. Use the electrical tape to wrap the portion of the brush where the bristles meet the metal sleeve. This will prevent the metal sleeve from scratching the paint if you get carried away.

Tap the trim that has turned whitish with the brush...it will knock is out. You can also use the brush for the wax that gets caught in the pin stripes, etc.

It works the best.

Old 02-14-2002, 04:13 PM
I accidently found that WD-40 works perfect without discoloration or damage.

Old 02-18-2002, 04:16 AM
I used my thumb... It kinda burns if you rub too hard, but it works if you get to it quickly...

Quick Reply: Cleaning wax off trim - trim turned whitish!