Noise in steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise in steering column?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes.

On cold mornings there is an occasional rattling sound coming from the steering column or right behind it in the dash. It only does it when I hit a small bump or something and after about 5-10 minutes of driving I don't hear it anymore. It's not very loud at all, but it is something. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because it doesn't happen all the time and it probably won't do it for them when they go to check it out. Does anyone have any advice or have a similar problem with their truck? It has 23,340 miles on it.

Old 02-20-2002, 02:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taking a wild blind stab at it, maybe a speedometer or odometer cable? This is a completely uneducated guess, but it is what I would look for first. Maybe it's just flopping around in there, loose.

Old 02-21-2002, 09:14 AM
Thanks Pickup Man for your thoughts. I'll look into that. The weather is getting slightly warmer and I haven't heard the noise in a week or so. It completely baffles me, but spring is right around the corner and I probably won't hear that noise again until December. Sometimes I wish it would happen all the time so I could take it in to the dealer and get it fixed.

Old 02-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Lightbulb same here...maybe this helps

I heard that same rattle...more like small knocks when you first drive off and was puzzled for some time trying to find it. Since we have very bads roads here in Manila, i constantly gets tiny knocks and clicks coming from everywhere but i do my best to find and fix them. This rattle you are talking about seems to eminate from the steering column and behind the instrument cluster. Sometimes its seems to be coming from the area of the headlight switch. Try this...there is a piece of trim right below the instrument guage cluster. Its the one that goes around the steering column. Pull it straight out (held only by clips). You need to shift the auto lever to drive 1 in order to remove it completely. Behind it you will find several clips and a few tiny plastic legs the go into tiny holes in the dash. Insulate those legs with tape (electrical or rubber) to prevent them from rubbing and causing the irritating clicks. Hopefully this solves your problem....good luck.

Quick Reply: Noise in steering column?