Swirl Marks From Dealer!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Swirl Marks From Dealer!!!!!!!

I'm mader than hell right now. Dropped my truck off today to get my brakes worked on and for an oil change. Also since the weather had been bad and I knew my dealership had a washing bay I asked them if they would mind washing it since it was covered in salt. This is the first time I have EVER trusted anyone else to wash my truck other than myself. I am always very careful about getting swirl marks and scratches. I picked my truck up around 4:00PM EST and it was in direct sunlight. It looked as if they washed it with a PUSH BROOM!!! I took it home and washed it myself and used Meguairs Scratch X all over it. It still didn't help much. PLEASE ANYONE WITH ADVISE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!! THANKS

Old 02-12-2002, 11:17 PM
I'd go back and chat with the service or detail manager, make them buff it for free. They screwed it up.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you need to get yourself a buffer and some 3m Swirl mark remover.

Old 02-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By all means take it back and make them buff it with 3M swirl mark remover, or equivalent. This is why when I bought both my trucks new they left with the dust from the lot on them and washed them myself when I got home. The salesman couldn't see why I didn't want a "free" wash. lol.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:43 PM
In the past five years I've bought four new Ford products and on the post sale survey Ford sends I nail them on their detailing (lack of) abilities. Every new vehicle needs a good claying and the interior needs to have grease and dirt removed. I never let them touch my new vehicles or do their "dealer prep" outside of putting center caps on and setting the electronics.

They will never learn there are peope who are **** about their FORDS.

Old 02-16-2002, 09:08 AM
I would definitely confront them about it and see what they say, but I would be hesitant to give your baby back to them and have them try to buff out the swirl marks. They could make it much worse and then you'd really be ticked.

I like to use Zaino's Z-5 for Swirls. It takes 2-3 coats, but it works well.

Good advice HOTVIC. My wife and I are buying an Escape with the Midnight Appearance Package (all black interior and exterior) and I think I'll contact them now, before it comes in from Ford, to tell them not to wash it or apply anything to the finish.

Old 02-27-2002, 12:16 AM
Son of a B%$^h !!! I know how you feel because it happened to me a long time ago.
Since then i make sure they don't touch my cars or trucks, And when i get the pleasure to buy a new one i don't even want them to wash it, I'll take it home to give it its first bath. as far as taking care of your paint its allways going to be a personal thing.
I use the products from griots garage, and just love the stuff.
I'am on my fourth vehicel using his products and i don't have swirl marks.
The porter cable polisher he sells with his different grades of compounds will remove swirl marks and not induce any. I use a plastic cleaner that you are suppose to use by hand to clean the windows on my boats, and i use it with that porter cable and if it won't leave swirl or scratches on plastic boat windows it won't leave them on my paint.
Don't ever use wool it burns your paint, and if it doesn't burn it it will swirl it, and i don't care how carefull you are. Both my brother and nephew love jags and I've removed plenty of dealer and previous owners swirl maks from their paint. before you make it worse check out his web site at www.griotsgarage.com and read about his products and/or get a catalog.
(please excuse any spelling mistakes)

Last edited by saknwak; 02-27-2002 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:18 AM
I guess what i'am trying to say is don't take it back they might make it worse. Spend $300 (which is cheaper than a paint job) and get the proper maching and products to make it right yourself. i can wash and wax my F350,cc,long bed in about 2 hours with these products, and i will neaver hand wax another car as long as live. This porter cable dual action variable speed machine is fabulous, and everyone saying make sure all you use is cotton like the zanio bros. is behind the times micro-fibers are softer and more scratch free and more absobant than cotton.
check him out www.griotsgarage.com

Last edited by saknwak; 02-27-2002 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:46 AM
Hey Saknwak:

Where do you get this porter cable dual action variable speed machine and how much does it cost?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2002, 11:01 AM
Go to International Tool and check out the Porter Cable 7336SP that is on sale. It's the same machine as the 7424 that Griot's Garage sells but a lot cheaper. You can order the pads and accessories from Classic Motoring Accessories.

Old 03-01-2002, 11:25 PM
i looked at classic motoring and the velcro backed pads are what i get from griots garage but different color so maybe or maybe not the same but neaver ever wool or cotton, you might put swirls back in the paint, and pads last a long time, and it is a porter cable 97336.

it doesn't matter if i'am using machine polish or the wax from griots garage all you need is a cotton cloth or a micro fiber cloth to remove the light haze that is left from the polisher. just go to
www.griotsgarage.com or call 1-800-345-5789 and have them send you a cataloge or just call them and ask them about there products. i could be a sucker paying a higher price for their foam pads, but i don't have swirl marks or primer (rubbed or waxed the paint off) on my hi spots on my body panels.
the entire kit for the porter cable, machine polish 1,best of show wax, foam pad,speed shine and clay bar is $280, and if you don't like it just send it back.

Last edited by saknwak; 03-01-2002 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:28 PM
Anybody in the forum ever use a Cyclo Buffer for buffing and polishing?? Made since the 50's and looks it! They say it is used by the aircraft industry for fine fininsh on aircraft and by the Airstream Trailer buffs. You can see it at the link below Classic Motoring Accessories

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...2Fnsearch.html

MaSuperCrew

Last edited by MASuperCrew; 03-16-2002 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Swirl Marks From Dealer!!!!!!!