Waterspots and 3M....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waterspots and 3M....

Just had to post on this...My wifes' car (98 Honda) has real bad waterspots..I'm talking super bad, spots had been on her car for more than two years! I've had detailers tell me that the only way to get rid of them was to basically repaint the car. I've tried everything from claybars to vineger to wax & polish you name it I tried it.
Then I tried 3M's Perfect-It Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover #39009 today and it took the spots right off!! The thing I'm wondering about is will the spots stay gone? In the past I have had some products "cover up" the spots and they would come back within a week or two. Sure hope this stuff works, getting tired of washing and waxing her car!!

Old 02-14-2002, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the swirl mark remover is a very fine abrasive. It takes the waterspots off and doesn't cover them up. It will also take some clearcoat off and will actually leave swirl marks if not applied correctly.

How did you apply it? Appying 3m's swirl mark remover by hand leaves a lot of swirl marks unless you are really good at it and have an arm of steel. Meguiars swirl remover is easier to apply by hand.

Any scratch remover seems to work well too. Eagle one scratch remover or Meguiars Scratch X.

For waterspots you can also try Pinnacle paint cleansing lotion.

Old 02-17-2002, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Waterspots" generally come in two varieties, deposition of contaminates or destruction (etching) of the surface (clearcoat nowadays).

If the spots were the former then you may have removed them with the glaze. If they are the latter then they will reappear as the wax, polish, etc. breaks down.

I too had a (white) Honda that had been neglected for a year or two. It had the destructive type spots on the roof and hood. I could never completely remove them since they were "a part of" the finish. Lots of wax was needed to keep them invisible.

Good Luck... XLT_D

Quick Reply: Waterspots and 3M....