engine cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine cleaning

I want to clean under the hood, but what do I need to cover up? Everything I see says you can use a normal hose and degreaser, but I know there are some things that shouldn't get soaked so can someone tell me what and where they are?

Just let the engine cool, spray on some meguiars, and hose it. That's it?

Old 02-19-2002, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would cover up the alternator, or at least not spray directly into it and clean it by hand when done. Also, pay attention to any boxes that have wires coming out. lol. Just make sure the engine isn't hot. Thats a big no-no.

Old 02-19-2002, 07:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll also want to stay away from the spark plug holes and the top of the engine as a whole.

Old 02-19-2002, 08:31 PM
I like the spray mine down with the degreaser. Then I use a small brush to agitate the checmical a little. I then let is sit for about 10mins. I then take a sprayer and use a light shower ****ion to clean the engine. After I'm done I wipe all the puddles off with a towel the best I can. I then take the truck for a quick drive trying to make hard turns and stops to knock as much water out as I can.

I then wait for it to dry and come back with a towel and armorall.
If you keep up with the towel and armorall you won't have to degreaser your engine again. I try to do it atleast once a month. Whatever has gotten into your engine over the month you can get out with the rag when you wipe it out.

Remeber, you drive a truck. These things are meant to be out in the mud, dirt, and water. You pretty much can't harm anything unless you shoot water into your air intake.

I'll try to get pictures of my engine compartment. It is really pretty

Old 02-19-2002, 08:46 PM
Ohhh, and take your battery out when you clean. Not because the battery is in danger but because a lot of crap gets around your battery. You can then just throw some degreaser on your battery when it is out and clean it.

Quick Reply: engine cleaning