Door Lock Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Door Lock Sticking

The drivers side door lock on my 98 has started to be a bear to unlock with the key. I have to put my key in and turn in back and forth several times before it will unlock. I tried my spare key, but it still does the same thing. The passenger door works fine. Any suggestions on what I can do or does it go to the shop.

Old 02-23-2002, 11:56 AM
tquinn-

Have you tried lubricating it with a specialized graphite lock lubricant from an auto parts store?

Old 02-26-2002, 01:00 PM
I just had this EXACT same problem. Good thing you came here 1st. Just spray some wd40 or that graphite stuff into the keyhole.

I actually paid ford $40 just to look at my locks and say "your door actuators are binding and need to be replaced. $98for parts on each door, plus $400 labor....For each door!!!!!"

then I came here, got the wd-40 tip, and my doors have never ran smoother.

As long as you have the wd40 out u might spray some in the locking mechanism if your door ajar light has been staying on.

Old 03-18-2002, 03:14 AM
WD-40 works but it attracts dirt and seems to kind of gel up in cold weather. Use the powdered graphite found in a little tube at any auto parts store, or they also make a product called Lock-eze which is graphite enrichred spray. I just took a knife blade to hold back the little flap and then "puffed" a little of the powered stuff into the lock cylinder, then worked the lock several times. I also for extra measure put a little of the grapite on the key and repeatedly cycled the key. Lock seems to be as good as new.

Old 03-19-2002, 06:50 PM
I had a '98 that did the same thing. I sprayed some WD-40 in... it was perfect for the next 12 or 13 months before I traded it in...

Old 03-19-2002, 07:06 PM
You might want to run a pencil across the teeth of your key until it is pretty well coated with graphite then insert it in and out of the lock and turn the lock a couple of times. I have tried this a couple of times when my key hasn't worked smoothly and you would be surprised how much this helps. Works on house keys too. Just be sure to wipe your key off after you are done so you don't get it all over you when you are done.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Sticking