need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help

i have a problem.. i had my daughters car battery in the bed of my truck for a while and didnt realize that it was leaking... i now have battery acid on my rear bumper....quite noticable....i have tried steel wool, wd40, teflon pads all with no luck...any suggestions....

Old 02-24-2002, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it on the metal of the bumper or did it burn the color out of the plastic? If it is only on the plastic, then you could dye it black again.

If it is on metal, then a Chisel?

Old 02-25-2002, 07:40 PM
i am thinking that nothibg short of a chisel will work... its actually on the metal...it doesseem like it corroded more just stained but who knows.....maybe its time to get the roll pan i was thinking of

Old 02-25-2002, 10:43 PM
How about putting some naval jelly on it?? I gotta think whatever is stong enough to pull acid off is gonna damage your chrome.

Makes sense to remove an acid try a substance that is a base...

Old 02-26-2002, 01:06 AM
A base would neutralize the acid, but so would baking soda. I have a feeling the acid carried along with it some other dissolved materials and deposited it on the chrome. Therefore you need to use acid to dissolve whatever is deposited on the chrome. You also need to use the same kind of acid, sulfuric acid in this case. You can get it from a battery dealer, especially one who only sells batteries.

Of course, if you should try this yourself, you need skin and eye protection. You also need something to neutralize the acid. Baking soda would work.

A lesson in handling acid from a chemist would be prudent if you don't know even the basics, such as why you NEVER add water to a concentrated acid...

Last edited by Dennis; 02-26-2002 at 01:09 AM.