orbital polisher using Zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question orbital polisher using Zaino?

Just received as a gift the Porter-Cable 7424 orbital polisher. Has anyone used an orbital polisher with the zaino products.

What works best with an orbital polisher?

Old 02-28-2002, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using a buffer for applying zaino won't save you a lot of time.

You should just apply it by hand. A orbital buffer is great for applying polishes though! I would recommend 3m Swirl mark remover or Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover 2.0

Both are very good polishes and with an orbital you wont' have any problems.

Old 03-01-2002, 12:32 PM
Personally, I like using my buffer with Zaino. Below is a piece written by a Mustang guy at SSOTN website about using a buffer with Zaino. Good luck.

ORBITAL/ZAINO

Here are some helpful tips for use of an orbiter/Zaino

I used Zaino by hand before I got the orbiter, but since using it with the orbiter I must say it has put the look of the paint into a completely different category of optics!!! Night and day difference....you'll see!

My orbiter is a 10" model, it not only spins but also vibrates back and forth. It revolves at 3200 rpm. The make is WEN. The bonnets that come with the unit, one of each with mine, are NOT as good as the ones you get in automotive stores.......the one that is for the wet (rubber liner) didn't last long at all before the liner broke down.

Buy some foam bonnets (not those light brown furry sheep's wool ones) and a set of white terry cloth removers. I think there are 3 bonnets in a package. The ones I got were in a clear package with blue lettering on it! There is probably 1 company with the market on this item.

Follow Sal’s directions for cleaning the car......if you missed this, I have it in "Word" so just let me know.

OK, you are ready to apply Z1. The first time I did this by hand because I didn't have the orbiter yet, but Sal says to reapply Z1 every 10 coats, so last weekend I did it with the orbiter. You don't really need the orbiting action with the Z1 (it's a locker not a polisher)....so it's up to you. You don't have to wait for Z1 to dry.

Now you are ready for Z5 (swirl remover). Put on a clean foam bonnet. Spray it with water (spray bottle) approximately 3 or 4 times, just to dampen it a little. Then shake Z5, and put a thin swirl line from outside to center. USE IT SPAREINGLY - THIN COATS. Place the orbiter on hood (good place to start) and let her rip. Do not push down, there is no need. Move the orbiter in figure 8 or back and forth slowly. Each time you put the polish on the bonnet you should apply it to an area approximately equal to half the size of the hood! Also each time you put more polish on the bonnet give it a couple more sprays of water first. You will only need to apply the polish to the bonnet about 6 times to do the entire car. More thin coats is better than fewer thick coats. I concentrate on each area for about 4-5 minutes. Which means you are getting about 15000 revolutions on each area (that's a lot of wiping by hand). You can stay in an area for 10 minutes if you have nothing better to do! The polish won't dry up on you that fast....that's why the Zaino is so cool! Don't worry about getting it on plastic or windows......it will buff right off. use the sides to get in smaller areas.

Do NOT lift the orbiter off the car while it's on or the bonnet may fly off and land on the ground.....(guaranteed face down...doh.....don't continue using this bonnet if that happens)

Once you have Z5 the entire car, remove the damp bonnet and go take a break, or clean the inside, or the engine or something. I always wait an hour from the last section I did (at least). Do the Sal Zaino "finger test" just to make sure. You can wait 3 hours or over night if you want, but for dust reasons, I wouldn't recommend waiting that long. In the humid climates you may need to wait more than an hour!

Removing the polish is really simple. Get a clean “terry” bonnet (no liner) and go to work. You don't have to spend a long time in each area, just long enough to remove all the polish. There will be "bonnet dust" from the removing process....this is normal. Removing the polish should only take about 15 minutes. If it’s not coming off very easily than you need to wait longer for it to dry more.

Then Z6 the car. I usually do this by hand with the proper towel (very important). This will remove all the bonnet dust from the car. Use the Z6 sparingly. Gotta love the smell!

Well that's it, you are done. Wait 2 days minimum to repeat this process. I guess it hardens up or
something. Continue to use the Z5 until you are happy with the "lack of swirls" then substitute Z2 for Z5.

I noticed a huge difference at about the 4th coat or so. All of a sudden the paint just looked incredible.
Imagine what it looks like now!!!!

As soon as possible take the used bonnets inside and soak them in liquid soap......the soap suds will
disappear immediately, this is normal. I wash them by hand most of the time, but have put them in the
washer once also......but not the dryer. Only wash FOAM bonnets by hand. Make sure you rinse them VERY well. Hang them to dry.

I couldn’t find foam bonnets up in Canada – but a buddy sent me some. They work WAY better at applying the Zaino than Terry. Less heat!

Well I can't think of anything else to mention. Once you do this process once or twice, you'll be a pro!

Using orbiters works great BUT please be careful. Don’t get rambunctious or do it “Drunk”. Take your time and keep the orbiter moving at all times!

Enjoy the Zainoing fun!!!

§cott Winger
Ö1 Çoßra

Old 03-04-2002, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info Blue!!!!

Quick Reply: orbital polisher using Zaino?