spilled gas on paint!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spilled gas on paint!

I went to the gas station this morning. And when I picked up the gas pump nozzle, some gas splashed onto my paint. Right underneath my gas door. I quickly wiped it off with a shop towel. Then when I got home 15 minutes later, I wiped it off again with a wet paper towel or two. I can't tell if it did anything to my paint yet because it's raining outside and my truck is dirty. Would gas hurt my finish on my paint? I do wax regularly.

Old 03-02-2002, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'll take off the wax. Just wash and rewax. Won't hurt it.

Old 03-02-2002, 02:53 PM
I dont want to sound like a smartass, 'cause it is a serious question so here goes...

1) you are not the first person to spill gas on a car/truck

2) you will not be the last to spill gas on a car/truck

3) bad pumps spill gas on cars and trucks every day

4) gas has been spilled on cars since Mr. Olds and Mr. Benz first started experimenting with motorized quadri-cycles.

Given this, Ford, GM, DCX and all the others use paint to withstand the solvent effects of gasoline.

You should be more worried about the effect of using coarse, scratchy paper towels on your paint (which have probably left microscopic scratches already)

Again, I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$, but hopefully the examples sent the message home.

So stop worrying so much.

Old 03-02-2002, 06:26 PM
Your right J-150 I do worry to much. And I'm overly obsessive about my truck. But I am on medicine just for that. No kidding! The Doc has me on mood stabilizers, anti-depressants, and nerve pills. And some kind of medicine for an obsessive-compulsive disorder. I used to hear voices but they don't talk to me anymore. I'll try not to worry so much. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2002, 08:10 PM
I'm starting to think that I should only buy used trucks from now on so I won't have to worry about paint either.

Seriously, you would be amazed at the abuse these paint finishes can take without damage.

Old 03-02-2002, 08:59 PM
I'll tell you this, I am more comfortable with an older truck. I miss my 94' Ranger. I never worried to much about scratching the paint on it. And it got great gas milage with the 2.3l 4 banger. But... I can't complain about the F-150. At least it's a step up in this world.

Old 03-08-2002, 07:11 PM
It's pretty tough until you get that first ding or scratch. After that, you stop worrying about it.

When I bought my last truck, there was a ding and a scratch. The dealer was going to fix it. Instead, we left it and discounted the price a little bit. I figure I saved myself the stress and heartbreak leading up to the first ding.

Old 03-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean. But it still gets on my nerves a little when I get a scratch or ding. 1 week after I bought my truck new last summer, some guy on a riding lawnmower hit a rock and sent it flying right in the side of my truckbed. I about had a heart attack! That's all I got to say about that.

Quick Reply: spilled gas on paint!