Massive amounts of tar!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Massive amounts of tar!

I've finnally been able to wash my Screw a couple of times by hand now, and boy do I have my work cut out for me! I have plenty of tar on the rocker panels, and it needs a good cleaning. I'm going to use the clay bar again, but what can I use to take off excessive tar and grease? I don't want to fill the bar with excess dirt before it's time. I'm going to need a fair amount of cleaner, and I was trying to avoid buying a bunch of bug & tar remover if I can use either home paint thinner or mineral spirits. Has anyone ever tried this with good results? Or, if you have a better idea...

Old 03-14-2002, 02:11 AM
Use kerosene. That's all Bug&Tar remover is anyway. It won't hurt your finish -- just be certain to wash the area well when you're done with soap/water to remove all remaining distillate. Obviously, you'll have to re-wax again. Clay bar is not intended to remove this kind of substance. BTW, you can use one cup kero in a standard size bucket of water to wash tree sap from your finish as well. Works great on that persistent &#@*>+@* maple sap. I have to resort to this method for a couple weeks each Spring. Again, rinse well and re-wax.

Old 03-14-2002, 07:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could also try WD40 for the tar, grease and even works on bug splatter.

Old 03-14-2002, 09:43 PM
EXCELLENT Thank you very much sundog7 & J-150

Quick Reply: Massive amounts of tar!