clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clay bar

have any of you tried the mothers clay bar? I have some spots that wont come out with washing and i was wondering if this bar works as advertised. thanks

Old 03-14-2002, 08:31 AM
Good question! will it take out old water marks from sitting in a dealer lot for months with no washing? i have tried regular waxes with no luck! please help!

Old 03-14-2002, 08:43 AM
The clay bar will probably not remove water marks. It will remove contamination that regular washing will not. Your best bet is a swirl mark remover like 3M or Meguiar's.

Old 03-14-2002, 08:47 AM
are you referencing the swirl mark remover to the water marks? or should i just suck it up and go to a pro detailer and let them do their thing? i would like ot think i could do this myself.

Old 03-14-2002, 09:00 AM
I have seen Mother's Clay bar remove things from the paint that I would not have believed. I think it is worth the $18-$20 bucks to give it a shot.

Old 03-14-2002, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clay bars usually don't remove watermarks. You will have to use a polish to remove them. When you feel your paint after you wash it and it has the rough sandpaper feel, clay bars will remove the stuff stuck in the paint, which gives it that sandpaper feel. They will make it feel as smooth as glass.

I like the mothers clay bar. It is very stiff and doesn't leave streaks of clay like some clay bars.

Old 03-14-2002, 11:19 AM
Erazer also makes a fine clay bar. I purchased mine at
http://www.autofanatics.com/carcarecorner1.html
A little more info about clay bars and how they work can be read here:
http://www.erazer.com/

Old 03-14-2002, 08:06 PM
i could not find the megiurs(a freind said he liked it the best) so i got mothers have not had a chance to try it out though. this weekend im going to try it out

Old 03-14-2002, 09:46 PM
You can get the Meguires clay bar at Autozone... just $9.99 with spray mist bottle inside too!

Old 03-14-2002, 10:15 PM
i just "clay barred" my red 97 f-150. When my dad and brothers cam ehome they walked in and said "how much did it cost for the new paint job and glass coating?" They were surprised. I washed my truck with dawn to stip all teh wax then clay barred it then waxed it to make it perfect. They truck looks better than brand spankin new.

oo yeah. I used mother's.

Old 03-14-2002, 10:19 PM
that pic after you "clayed" your truck? looks great! how long for the whole prject? i hope to do mine soon, weather is starting to break! YAY!

Old 03-14-2002, 10:32 PM
Claybars will not remove the water spots. I have them on my truck too. The only way I know to totally remove them is to either 1) high speed buff with swirl remove or compound, or if they are really bad 2) wet sand.
I do not recommend anyone try either of these. Doing it wrong can mess up the paint, baaaaaad.
The swirl remover is pretty safe, but compound and wet sanding (which requires buffing afterwards) is not.

Old 03-17-2002, 09:45 PM
Use 3M's...

One Step Cleaner Wax. Part number 39006. It will take out the water spots with no problem.

Had a black Jeep which got hit with a sprinkler for about 15 min one day in the hot sun. Paint looked like crap...tried regular wax, clay bar, wax again...nothing worked. Went with the 3M stuff and it looked awesome. The 3M product took out the water spots and the fine scratches and swirl marks.

Old 03-18-2002, 12:59 AM
Bought Mothers Clay Bar. Went through car wash, too cold to do it myself. First Clay Bar, then Meguires Scratch X, then Meguires #2 Polish, then Meguires Gold Class Wax. Took 5 hours but I did not get the tailgate done or the wheels and tires cleaned. Ran out of gas, started at 10 pm until 3 am. Thought it would go faster. Looks very good, no sun so I can't tell, maybe it looks great when it gets outside. Clay bar easy to use once you get started. I don't know but I saw a few scratches that I felt I might have caused with it but they might have been there before. Bar seems well worth the $ 14.00 I paid. Paint surface is verrrrrry smooth now, not like before.

Old 03-18-2002, 02:15 AM
I used the Mother's clay bar last summer, and will again this spring. It took me about 3 hrs to wash and clay bar the whole truck then about an 1 for each of the three wax steps I did. Washed with dishsoap, clayed, then used Meguires swirl remover, then a good coat of Meguires polish for that deep shine, then selaed it with a coat of Mequiers Hi-tech yellow carnuba wax. I have seen freshly painted and detailed trucks that didn't compare to the shine, deepness, and smothness of the truck. I was able to maintain that shine with daily dusting and at least weekly Quick Detailer fora good two months. Water still beads up somewhat but it feels rough again. Plan on blocking out a whole day for this one.

Quick Reply: clay bar