Cracking Paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracking Paint

I just dropped my truck off at a local dealership to have my paint looked at. The hood and the roof have these small cracks all over. My service rep claimed she's never seen anything like this before.

So I'm waiting to see what they think. They made me sign this complaint form, specifying my complaint.

Anyone out there have similar problems? I'm looking for some ammunition to see if I have any leverage to get this fixed. Everyone who looks at it (and doesn't work for Ford) thinks its a factory defect.

I appreciate any responses.

Old 04-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best thing to do is try a "search" on this site..this has been covered many times over the past couple of years. Print off the material and take it in with you. Seems like the darker colors are more prone to the cracking as you desribed. This problem can happen on any part of the truck..not just the hood and roof.

Best of luck!

Old 04-06-2002, 06:40 PM
Unhappy cracks

My 2000 black truck is at the dealer right now getting a paint job. It sounds like the same cracks I had.

Old 04-06-2002, 07:03 PM
Dustoff,

Thanks for the advice. I see the search function is working again, so I will utilize it to the utmost.

dagger33,

How did you get them to repaint it? First thing I was told when I showed them the cracks is that Ford is tightening down on what they can do (???).

Thanks again.

Old 04-06-2002, 08:30 PM
Server Issues

It seems the search function is still out of order (as well as the edit post function). If anyone could link me to other threads that could help me, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2002, 09:12 PM
I have the same problem as you do, but mines a 97, what colour is your truck?

Old 04-09-2002, 04:43 PM
Last night, I took delivery of my new '02 F-150, and traded back my '00 F-150 which had paint defects from Day 1. It wasn't a buy-back, but the regional rep did come through with some assistance $$$'s to make the trade-in and re-buy lighter on my wallet. My defects included hazing and cracking, but mainly 000's of paint chips thanks to a mega-soft clearcoat. It was painted 4 times before I said (and Ford agreed) enough.

My advise is to simply stick to your guns - if you still have the warranty, then you wield a good amount of power. Push for the re-paint, but remain professional and dignified - nothing pisses them off more!

Best of luck.

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2002, 04:49 PM
Thumbs down I got the same thing

I have little spider web type cracks all over the hood, roof and down the sides of the body and box. I took it to ford and they told me that my truck had been repainted and that it wasn't the factory paint on there. Way to go ford.

Old 04-09-2002, 09:00 PM
triton_4.6_power,

My truck is black. Man, that color is a PITA to keep looking good.

NI4NI,

Sorry to hear about your problems with your last truck. I hope your buy-back worked out well. My truck is on the extended warrenty, which doesn't cover much else but the drive train. And from the reaction I got from the initial report, it's going to be an uphill battle.

Qub3d,

I have the spiderwebs as well. I think I could get those out with some good polish, but these cracks are another story. I'll try posting a picture to show what I have.

Old 04-11-2002, 11:06 PM
cracks

CLEAR55

The manger just agreed to repaint the whole truck, But since my family has bought 9 cars in the last 5 years I think that had something to do with it.

Old 04-12-2002, 12:02 PM
I've got a '98 with black paint. The roof is literally cracked to *****. There's a huge line of cracks that run the entire length of it. That's really the only place though.

Is there anything i can do to help keep it from cracking more?

Old 04-19-2002, 08:47 PM
my trucks black as well, I wonder if it is only the black trucks that it happens to. I have heard of a few other black trucks haveing the same problem.

Old 04-23-2002, 02:58 PM
Angry 99 F150 Black Paint Cracking

I have a Black '99 F150 Supercab Flareside with the Sport Package, and have religiously maintained the exterior. I have it professionally detailed each year, wash it weekly, and wax it every 6 months.

I too am a Meguliars user. I was just using the paint cleaner, polish and carnuba wax and was disgusted to find that my roof had some serious spider webs in it. After using the paint cleaner on the hood to remove the wax, I found small slit type cracks in the paint that I had not noticed before.

I am adding myself to the list, to assist others in my situation in building a case for their dealer. I am also interested in what experiences others have had in dealing with their local Ford Dealer. I LOVE my F150, and had planned on getting another this summer, BUT, if this is the quality of Ford paint, HA! Almost as bad as Chevy Paint!

Michael Easter
Woodbridge, VA

1999 F150 Sport Flareside
Black, Sport Masters Tonneau, AirForce-1 FIPK, JBA Headers, Gibson Cat-Back, Superchip, Class-3 towing package, Herculiner (in bed and underside of cab)

Old 04-23-2002, 03:11 PM
As long as i keep mine polished, the cracks and little scratches don't show up at all. When you get down and take a good look at it though, you can notice them.

Old 04-28-2002, 12:02 AM
Update

To those who are following this thread,

I'm still waiting for a response from the dealership about my paint problem. I plan on calling them next week to confront them on this issue. Either my request wasn't urgent enough, or they are hoping that I will forget about it.

Quick Reply: Cracking Paint