Easier alternative to streak-free drying than chamois cloth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easier alternative to streak-free drying than chamois cloth?

Is there an easier way (than using a chamois cloth) to achieve streak-free drying after washing? Both my trucks are dark colored and everything (water spots, drying streaks) shows up after I wash them. I used to use a chamois (natural), but that was such a slow process, especially on well-waxed surfaced, where there is a lot of water beaded-up that needed to be wiped dry.

-Mark

Old 04-18-2002, 10:12 AM
Might try the Absorber...

which is a synthetic chamois available at WalMart, Pep Boys, etc. I went to it because I couldn’t find a decent natural chamois that didn’t streak like crazy. The Absorber holds a lot more water and I have found it takes about half the time to dry the truck with it than with a natural chamois. You might also try a search on the California Water Blade in this forum...I haven’t used it myself because I’m afraid it will scratch, but I’ve heard some good things about it and it definitely sounds faster than a towel, if less thorough. Wal Mart is selling those, too, these days.

Old 04-18-2002, 10:24 AM
kook,

You can get microfiber towels at most auto supply stores. They do a great job drying my truck and car.

You might also try a quick detailer after drying. They do a real good job of making your truck look good.

BOB

Old 04-18-2002, 10:36 AM
just used the california blade on my black lightning and it works really well. Thing is, the truck has to be clean or you will drag the dirt across the surface.. It really gets the water off

Old 04-18-2002, 05:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use free flowing water out of your hose nozzle to sheet water off your truck. You can get a lot of water off that way. Then I use 100% cotton bath towels that I picked up at a department store. Usually takes one towel to do my truck if I used the hose to sheet water off.

I had an absorber and didn't like it. It still left beads of water behind that left watermarks. I do use the waterblade every once in awhile. Mostly it is just for my windows though.

Old 04-18-2002, 06:11 PM
I just use a chamois. I have black paint to. I don't streak marks. I think if you invest in a good chamois it shouldn't streak too bad.

Old 04-18-2002, 10:50 PM
Thumbs up Use the chamois to finish...

...after you start with a soft plastic/rubber squeegee.

I have always started the drying process with a squeegee, being careful to buy onwe with an all-plastic housing (so I wouldn't scratch anything) and soft rubber "blade" so it forms to the curve of the body. Then, the chamois finishes things off very quickly...

Trending Topics

Old 04-18-2002, 11:25 PM
All of the mentioned methods work real good if done properly on a clean surface. The bottom line is, how much time do you want to spend to make your truck look good? Someone could easily sheet the water off with the hose, then use the water blade to get the majority of the water off, use a microfiber or terry cloth towel to get the remaining portions dried and then use a quick detailer to really finish things up. You can add in a spin around the block, leaf blower or air compressor treatment in between steps to really dry things out if you'd like. It just takes practice until you have refined your technique with what works best for you.

Old 04-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Talking

I would give a good leaf blower a try they work real well!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2002, 11:50 PM
What do I do for my show truck at a show after the rain falls? California wiper blade and microfiber...I'm back in my chair in about 10 minutes and I have an Excab Longbed!

The Beast From The East..my gallery

Old 04-20-2002, 01:19 AM
"From the home of the Original California Car Duster comes an easy-to-use car care product, which removes 90% of standing water on any vehicle's surface without scratching or streaking. Made in the U.S.A. of medical grade silicone, it thoroughly removes water in one third the time of a squeegeeor sponge. The Water Blade's patented T-bar edge causes 15 times less friction than a terrycloth towel, and won't retain dirt or other materials that will scratch. The Water Blade removes water with a single stroke, even on contoured surfaces, something no other product on the market can do."

This can be found on the California Car Cover Company website.

Hey Dr. Devon, we meet up again. How have you been? I guess we actually agree on something here.

Old 04-21-2002, 08:37 PM
Navi Man:
DrDevon:

Good to see you both once again. I have found what Intel486 recommends, (free flowing water) works well. I have also read about that on a detailing forum. You'd be amazed how well it works. Thats the method I use along with 100% made in the USA cotton bath towels, works excellent. By the way Intel486 I just used Zaino on my silver truck and WOW what a shine and depth to the color.

Another thing that may work well is 160mph down the freeway that would seem to blow alot of water off and leave no spots

Old 04-22-2002, 08:04 PM
I would be extremely careful about using a water blade...If you haven't gotten all the dirt off your truck-and I mean every single speck-you risk dragging that particle right across your clearcoat.Microfibers or a 100% usa cotton towel are way safer.Imo waterblades are only good for glass and only if they're really clean.

Old 05-01-2002, 06:18 PM
Waterblades scare me too........one trapped grain of sand or dirt, and you have sandpaper.....but, many folks like these and use them with no problems. I've always used 100% cotton towels, and "patted" the truck to dry it. However, just started using something called "Big Blue Towel" from properautocare.com. It's a microfiber product, but has a quilt-like pattern on it as opposed to the usual terry (or velour) MF products. It works great. Lay it down on the hood, lift and pull gently, let it lay down again (kind of like dragging it, but not quite). Any residual can be quickly removed with a second BBT or MF towel if necessary. I can esssentially do the entire truck....excluding the inside of the bed.... with one BBT (though I usually use two in the process). Downside is they're a bit pricey, though I got them on sale for 2 for $40 recently (still pricey.........but, since drying is my least favorite detailing task, these make it go pretty quickly......at least that's how I justified it

ernie
2002 F150 Lariat
ext cab/FX4
black clearcoat
etc., etc.

Old 05-01-2002, 11:57 PM
I use the "Aborber". I got it at Auto Zone, but I've seen it at Wal-Mart and Pepboys. Provides a streak free shine and lasts forever, just wring it out when it gets heavy with water and keep going until the entire truck is dry. I love it.

Quick Reply: Easier alternative to streak-free drying than chamois cloth?