Removal Of Wax From Hard Rubber Piece Located At Bottom Of Side Glass Window-help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 10:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Removal Of Wax From Hard Rubber Piece Located At Bottom Of Side Glass Window-help!

I need to remove some wax that some doofus (namely me) got on that hard black rubber piece that is located at the bottom of the side windows on the SCREWS (and I suspect all f150s). Anybody have any insight/suggestions? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

RP

Old 05-01-2002, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creamy peanut butter. Rub it into the affected areas, wipe off and wash the vehicle as you normally would. Just don't try to recycle the peanut butter into a sandwich.

Old 05-01-2002, 01:46 PM
There used to be a product called "Back to Black". If it's still around, you rub it on any black plastic, rubber, etc... Worked really well for me.

Old 05-01-2002, 03:51 PM
Just bought some Back-to-Black (made by Mother's) at the local Pep Boys, so it should still be available. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm told it does the trick. I'll find out first-hand this weekend. Of course, I doubt it tastes as good as creamy peanut butter...

Old 05-01-2002, 05:20 PM
Back to black only masks the white residue, it wont remove it. Peanut butter does the trick.

Old 05-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Peanut butter really works... if not try grape jelly... JK, LOL

Old 05-01-2002, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peanut butter works. If you dont' want to deal with the mess, then you can use peanut oil. You can also use Dawn but it will strip the wax on the panel it runs down. You can also use a Non-caustic degreaser.

Back-to-Black isn't very good. I tried it and then the next weekend when I washed, it washed the stain off. I have found that Forever Black is the best product so far. I have had it on for several months now and it is still nice and black. Also, you can go out and get a vinyl dye. It'll stain whatever you want nice and black.

Trending Topics

Old 05-16-2002, 08:27 PM
Alright, I'll come out and say it: Peanut Butter doesn't work.... at least not for long.

I tried it on the bed caps and tailgate handle and the wax stains went away for about a month. Ever since then I've been taping off the plastic before I wax or polish. Now the stains are back.

Are there any products or ideas from the manufacturers of polishes and waxes?

Old 05-17-2002, 07:52 PM
Way 2 go Indyfan... I agree!

I have yet to find ANYTHING that just wipes away the "over-wax".

P-butter has oil in it [OK you knew that ]. The oil essentially smoothes over the surface of the over-wax and makes it invisible. This is the same for WD-40, Back-to-Black, or any other surface treatment.

Now, when you wash the vehicle, you wash away the oil and most of the over-wax is visible again.

You'd need to use the same solvent the wax mfgr. used (to allow it to be applied) in order to dissolve it and simply wipe it away. But the solvent will in turn have other adverse effects on the plastic.

This, plus the texture of ABS trim pieces, means you need to use detergent and a toothbrush (or equiv.) to REMOVE it forever. All else is just "A cover up".

I too now spend 20-30 min. masking off the plastic and rubber before waxing. You can go crazy with the buffer knowing you're no getting ANY wax where you don't want it.

XLT_D

Old 05-17-2002, 08:05 PM
i tried back2black before. It makes the trim turn grayer in the sun, and when it rains it runs down off the trim and makes the truck all streaky and disgusting looking. THat stuff is crap. Half the time it doesn't even work and ya gotta rub the he!! outta the plastic to get it to work. Peanut butter works great. Just zap it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up, and it goes on in no time. Works great. I did it a month ago and it is still holding up great. Beats taping the truck every time i wanna polish it when i can just spend a shorter time using the peanut butter.

Quick Reply: Removal Of Wax From Hard Rubber Piece Located At Bottom Of Side Glass Window-help!