Bugs on paint question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 10:01 AM
VG1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bugs on paint question

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I fell victim to Love Bugs. I didn't get them off fast enough on my Expi and now I have splatter shaped etchings in the paint on the bumper and hood.

Anyway, it's not bad enough to warrant the expense of a new paint job. My question is since it didn't really eat through all of the paint, is there something, like ScratchX, that I can put on the splatter marks to make it less noticable? I tried a couple different types of polish without much success. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2002, 12:05 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This will really depend on the level of etching that has occured. I have one tiny spot on my hood that I had an expert look at and he says the only way to get it off would be to wetsand it. Immediately, I declined the offer of services but, the reason it would have to be brought down was because the etching was actually down into the paint.

If your etching is simply on the surface, a product like Meguires Scratch-X would probably do the trick but, DO NOT RUB HARD! You'll create more of a problem than you have.

I doubt you'll be able to totally remove the etching but, it should reduce the visibility of the etching.

I hate bird poop and bugs.

RP

Old 05-23-2002, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the only way to cut down the etching is to remove paint. If it is deep, then wetsanding. A rotary with a polish will also be able to cut down the paint some. I'd try something like Meguiar's Scratch X. If that can't get it out but you want it out, then have a pro look at them.

Quick Reply: Bugs on paint question