What to use to clean off wax before touch-up....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to use to clean off wax before touch-up....

I am going to be doing some touch-up work on the truck this weekend, but need to know what to use to clean the wax off the areas I will be working on. I know Dawn will take off wax, but does it get it all off?

The wax on the truck is Meguiars #26 Carnuba Wax.

Hints, tips and suggestions appreciated,
Kevin

Old 05-23-2002, 11:45 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any paint 'cleaner' will remove the wax down to the original paint/clearcoat.

I'd recommend using Meguires Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner. This is one of Meguires 'top end' products and you probably won't be able to find it at your local wal-mart or auto parts store. I get mine from a detailers supply shop here in Louisville that stocks the full line of Meguires Mirror Glaze products (along with any god given item to help detail your vehicle -- I spend hours in there every time I go just talking to those people about what I can do to make my truck look better).

I wouldn't recommend using dishwashing detergent. Yes, it'll remove the wax without a problem but, I've heard it's not good for the clearcoat.

RP

Old 05-23-2002, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dawn will take wax off and should take it all off. It is fine for clearcoated paints. I'll strip oils out of older non-clearcoated paints though. Main reason not to use dawn is because it strips wax. Sal Zaino recommends Dawn too.

You can hit the scratch with a light polish before you apply the touch-up. Make sure the polish is bodyshop safe though. It means it can be painted over.

Old 05-23-2002, 01:19 PM
Thanks to both of you.

Kevin

Old 05-23-2002, 01:27 PM
You can use some mineral spirits to clean the area and then you can do your touch up. You can also use some wax and grease remover that can be found at any detail supply shop. You can then follow up with some polish and a coat of wax. Good luck and take your time.

Quick Reply: What to use to clean off wax before touch-up....