Liquid Glass? Bad or Good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using Liquid Glass for a while now. Never had any problems with it, and durability seems to be as good or better than anything else. At $16/pint it is pricey. That wonderfull shine is worth it though, and the ease of use as well.

-jeff b.

Old 06-13-2002, 09:17 PM
I have always used LG (liquid glass) on my HD truck. Put 8 coats on in little over a year and the shine is amazing. It says it bakes onto the finish so i'm sure its pretty durable (you can tell when you havent' let it bake on enough, cuz if you wash it like the next day, it streaks a little and you have to buff it again to get rid of them, but it still looks good). I have about 13 coats on it now and the truck turned 2 years old on may 18th of this year and still looks brand new. I enter it in alot of shows (have one this saturday) and people are constantly asking me what kind of wax i use. I tell them that i don't wax it, i use glass and they look at me like . and then i have to explain it all to them. But this stuff is nothing short of amazing. My dad has also owned about 3 dozen cars in his life, and he has always used LG. He had a 64.5 stang, 69 mach 1, corvette stingray, monzas, malibu's, corvairs, datsuns, chargers, challengers and many others. He always got compliments on his vehicles finishes too. I have an 85 F150 work truck that has had LG since day one, and when the truck was 10 years old, i'd have people ask me if i got a new truck because the finish was like new, and it still looks great for being 17 years old. I'm sold on this stuff and i am not exagerating on the amount of compliments i get on the finish and shine. This stuff is great. But up here in jersey where everything seems to be more expensive, it goes for just under 20 bucks a can at pepboys, but its well worth it. Thanks Intel for doing the testing, i'd like to see the pics of what it looks like after, if you get a chance to post them.

*edit* just wanted to add that my HD truck is a daily driver and i don't have a garage to keep it in during the rain and snowstorms, and the LG holds up great.

Last edited by Harley#356; 06-13-2002 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Harley#356
*edit* just wanted to add that my HD truck is a daily driver and i don't have a garage to keep it in during the rain and snowstorms, and the LG holds up great.
I'll get around to posting them. The difference between Liquid Glass and Meguiar's #6 is very subtle. I haven't done any testing on my truck yet but I think I will. You just let your truck sit in the sun to "bake" it on? How long do you have to do it? Does not "baking" it on affect the shine at all? Like, does it get glossier after being "baked on?"

Harley, I'm painting that black throttle body cover on my truck like you did. I've got the 4.6L cover and I've got the Ford oval on it Not sure if you had the oval. I'm doing the same combo like you did. Chrome bumper paint, red 4.6L and black Triton and the Ford oval in Chrome and Blue. Really looks good so far. I might try to attempt red flames on it too :P

Just incase I mess up, you have a good way to remove paint from the plastic? I remember from my modeling days that Paint thinner melts plastic... I learned that the hard way.

Old 06-14-2002, 09:34 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not 110% sure what type of paint that you're using on the cover but, I had some decent success with fingernail polish remover. Then again, I was just removing overspray and a little paint run on mine.

I was using a dilute solution though. I took 3 parts fingernail polish remover to about 1.5 parts water. I, too, was afraid of melting the plastic but, it did a suitable job without deforming or melting the plastic.

Good luck with the flames if you go with them... That's a little more daring than I'd be because of the lack of artistic skill on my part.

RP

Old 06-14-2002, 11:03 AM
Intel, since i don't have a garage, my truck sits outside all the time so i don't really let it bake for a certain set of hours, but they recommend 4 hours baking inbetween coats. You can kinda tell the difference of when it has baked on or not. When its baked on, its smoother appearing, like less streaky or something, but it stilll looks amazing after you just glass it. If it rains the next day, or you wash it or dry it and it hasn't baked on yet, you can definately see the streaks in the sun and i don't like to look at it. So i just rebuff the truck with a rag, and it looks great again. But once its baked on, it doesn't streak like that.

Good luck with the cover. Mine doesn't have a ford emblem. I put it back on yesterday, so i'll post pics later. I was gonna do flames on the air filter cover, but never got around to it. I'm gonna do a flame job on my 85's side tool boxes in a ghost flame. Should look pretty cool. LoL Post pics when you get it done. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2002, 09:46 PM
I got it back on

Had a show today too, must have had at least a dozen people ask what kind of wax i use LoL

link to pics from teh show https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...751#post618751

Last edited by Harley#356; 06-15-2002 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:49 PM
Harley#356,

Looks really good!

I just finished painting mine. I think I might tape the ford oval and the Trinton 4.6L part off and spray the rest of it a flat black.

I'll post pics in a min. I also acetoned my badges this weekend. I don't know what color I should paint the F-150 part though. Still Chrome. The sides look good all Chrome but the tailgate one looks stupid all Chrome.

Old 06-15-2002, 10:58 PM
Thanks Intel, it would look better if the rest of my engine was clean though. LoL

Anyway, i'd say paint the 150 part to match your body color or a trim color, but i guess i'd have to see a pic or something. Good luck finishing it up.

Old 07-07-2002, 11:23 PM
I also saw a picture of an old bottle where it use to say "Low-Micro Abrasives" inplace of "Mild Inert Cleaning Agent." Hmmm makes you wonder!
Intel, do you still have that pic? I wonder if that's the same stuff my dad used to get back in the 60-70's.

Anyway, do you have any pics of the panel with the polishes/waxes on it?

thanks

Old 07-08-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Harley#356

Intel, do you still have that pic? I wonder if that's the same stuff my dad used to get back in the 60-70's.

Anyway, do you have any pics of the panel with the polishes/waxes on it?

thanks
hrmmm I had pics but don't know if I lost them when I reformated...

I'll try to find the pic of the "low micro abrasives" thing. I may have lot it too.

Old 07-08-2002, 09:34 AM
Aight, thanks

Old 07-09-2002, 02:52 PM
WAX

Hey guys it looks like you have invested a good amount of time into waxes. I found a product from Stylin Concepts called Super Gloss. It claims to be non abrasive and clear coat safe. I is some of the best stuff I have ever seen. It leaves a really glassy look and a nice smooth feeling. It also seems to darkin the color a little. I is 25 bucks a bottle which I thought was pretty steep at first but i have found that one bottle goes along way. It is also the easiest on and off products I have touched. It seems to be some really good stuff.

Old 07-13-2002, 11:48 AM
swampfox25,

It sure looks nice.............. how long does that shine last?

Old 07-24-2002, 08:33 AM
Thumbs up LIQUID GLASS...

Liquid glass Has never ruined any of my paint jobs... I used it on a honda I had for years, an exp for 12 years! I'm still using it today on my 1999 f- 150 And My 1969 oldsmobile I think the stuff is safe It sure makes the metallic pop!!!!!!! Deep mirror like finish!!! I use white towels and I get no paint on them??? But I never used it on a car or truck with a bad or old oxidized paint job... Even my olds paint job was nice when I aplied my first coat, No yellow was showing up on my rag then either. And thats a factory laquer paint!!! I don't know guys my truck is a very dark blue and I don't have problems with swirl marks either... Again all I can say is I have been using the stuff for years and so far no problems... For a few more photos click here: http://www.f150world.com/mygallery.a...138&album=5737 S.Shanks..........

Last edited by Sharpshanks; 07-30-2002 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2002, 04:48 PM
Sharpshanks... WOW! That sir is some serious shine.
I'm off to Pep Boys.

Quick Reply: Liquid Glass? Bad or Good?