Liquid Glass? Bad or Good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Liquid Glass? Bad or Good?

I was at pepboys earlier today trying to get a soft brush to do a convertible top with. Don't know what happened to mine. Grrr

Well, anyways, I saw the Liquid Glass that people suggested on this board before. It comes in a 16oz can and cost $17.99!!!!!

Well, I bought it anyways so I could compare it to Klasse and zaino. I just got to do some research on the product and I'm not liking what I hear. Some guy said he used it on his car regularly and it stripped the clearcoat! Another guy saies is offers no durability and will only last about two weeks. He saies the people who use it often have a great shine because every time they use Liquid Glass it is stipping off some paint and exposing new paint!

Now this is what really strikes me as odd!

The front of the bottle says "Clear Coat Safe Contains NO Abrasives" But when I flip to the side it says "Mild Inert Cleaning Agent" Now, to me that means it has an abrasive in it. I also saw a picture of an old bottle where it use to say "Low-Micro Abrasives" inplace of "Mild Inert Cleaning Agent." Hmmm makes you wonder!

On the back it also saies to apply it with a coarse cotton cloth. Ok that is just a weird suggetion.

It also saies some color may appear on your cloth. Now... Wouldn't that mean it has abrasives in it removing paint? I guess that Coarse Cotton cloth you are using to apply it could also be what is removing paint

I think I might have a test to see if it has abrasives. Be back in a few.

Old 06-05-2002, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me know what you find out. I was looking at trying some out on my truck. I also heard that it strips the clearcoat off.

Old 06-05-2002, 06:06 PM
Ok first test shows Liquid Glass to have abrasive or swirl hiding properties.

I wetsanded some Plexiglas (Bottle of Liquid Glass saies it works on plexiglas) with 2000 grit sandpaper.

I then applied three waxes to seperate areas and then left part without anything on it.

I applied Eagle One Pure Carnauba wax which contains no cleaners or abrasives to one section. The next section I applied Meguiar's #6 Cleaner wax. Then the next I applied Liquid Glass. I let them haze and buffed them off.

Eagle One Pure Carnauba made no difference in look. It just made the surface over the sandpaper marks really slick like there were no sandpaper marks there.

Meguiar's #6 reduced the sandpaper marks and made the surface slick also.

Liquid Glass also reduced the swirls and made the surface slick.

I'm gonna do another test on some paint in a little bit.

Old 06-05-2002, 07:49 PM
Ok the next test is underway.

I have a panel that is painted blue and I sanded it down with 2000 grit sandpaper. I boxed off four little boxes in the middle and left the edges exposed all around to show what it looked like when it was sanded. Also, the areas under the masking tape will stay sanded. So, in the end when I take the masking tape off we will have areas to compare it to.

On the top left corner I'm applying ProWax's Satin Creme. A product which should not contain any abrasives but we'll find out. This is being applied with a foam pad

On the top right I'm going to do one coat of Klasse All-In-One and then start putting coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze on. The Klasse All-In-One should be the only one which has abrasives. Klasse Sealant Glaze should just be a protective coating. Both products being applied with suggested Microfiber applicators.

In the botton left I have Meguiar's #6 Cleaner Wax. A wax which has a polish in it. I expect it will probably remove a lot of the sandpaper marks. Product being applied by Foam pad

And finally in the bottom right I have Liquid Glass. Product being applied by the suggested cotton towel. (Not a coarse one of course. I don't have any coarse towels.)

All products will be buffed off with microfiber towels. If product doesn't come off easy some water will be misted ont he surface.

Ok, I've got one coat of each product on and am about to put the first coat of Klasse SG on. I have a picture I'll post in a bit of the panel before any products were applied.

Edit: Added some things.

Last edited by Intel486; 06-05-2002 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:14 PM
OK here is picture of panel before any products were applied. This is in a dark room with an angled light. Not a bright one though. Future pictures I hope to have pulled my halogens out for but you can still see the areas have been sanded.

4 blocks have been divided but no products applied!

Old 06-06-2002, 12:55 AM
OK I just buffed off a coat of everything.

So far one coat applied of everything

ProWax's Satin Creme. Sandpaper marks are still very visible but area now looks wet and is slick

Meguiar's #6 Cleaner wax. Sandpaper marks are still there but faded slightly. Slight and very wet looking!

Klasse AIO - after application of it area was somewhat shinny and a lot of the sandpaper marks were gone. Still visilble though. Now have one coat of Klasse SG on.

Liquid Glass - WOW! This square is the wettest looking out of all of them! A lot of the sandpaper marks are gone so we know it has abrasvice qualities but the shine! WOW!!! Amazing! Might even be better than Klasse AIO and Klasse SG! I'll have to wait until I get more coats of Klasse SG on though. Too bad it is abrasive

Old 06-06-2002, 05:13 PM
I sent Liquid Glass an email about the testing, Here is their response.

Dear Dave:

Liquid Glass Polish/Finish does not contain abrasives of any kind and
cannot, and will not, remove clear coat paint finishes.

If you find that Liquid Glass Polish/Finish is removing paint during your
testing, it is due to the weakening of the integrity of the paint finish
during your sanding/cleaning with other products prior to applying Liquid
Glass Polish/Finish.

Liquid Glass Pre-Cleaner can be used to clean the paint surface prior to
application of Liquid Glass Polish/Finish. Pre-Cleaner uses microscopic size
abrasives to clean chemically. This very mild cleaner is also clear coat
safe and will not damage the paint surface.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Sincerely,
Michael Trueba Jr.

Old 06-08-2002, 11:05 PM
I used liquid glass for years and loved it. Never any trouble with it.But have not been able to find it around here for a while. Dont know what happened to it. We dont have Pep Boys in Kansas City so guess i'll have to keep looking.

Old 06-08-2002, 11:58 PM
How durable do you think....

...the Liquid Glass will be? Intel486, i'd love to pick your brain about this stuuf if you can spare a few minutes. The other things you have posted here have been (to say the least) impressive; and it's a real breath of fresh air to get the quality of information you offer.

I keep my truck outside (have to) and it's very, very dusty, hot, and humid (Houston, inside the city) where I live. I simply can't go more than two weeks without washing because the truck picks up sooooo much caked on dirt in every morning's condensation. Between this dust/condensation and the heat down here, I have a heck of a time keeping a good wax coat on.

A little more background - I have used Finish 2001, and although it was really cheap, it seemed to last fairly well. I went to Maguiar's and then Eagle One to get a little better shine and clean off some things (Meguiar's first step did the trick) a few years back. The shine is better, but I find the dust and other garbage aren't shed nearly as well (at all), even with a fresh coat, as they were with the Finish 2001 (more "slippery" than the wax).

Considering what you know about these products, do you think Liquid Glass would last longer than a Carnauba-base wax? Do you think I ought to just go back to the Finish 2001, or is that stuff not so hot for my paint?

Also, have you heard of this protectant call "Just Once"? I met a fellow at a (vehicle) trim shop and he swears by it. I generally use 303 protectant, which I first learned about with my plastic kayaks, of all things. Whaddaya say?

Old 06-09-2002, 12:19 AM
Re: How durable do you think....

Originally posted by DrDevon
Considering what you know about these products, do you think Liquid Glass would last longer than a Carnauba-base wax? Do you think I ought to just go back to the Finish 2001, or is that stuff not so hot for my paint?

Also, have you heard of this protectant call "Just Once"? I met a fellow at a (vehicle) trim shop and he swears by it. I generally use 303 protectant, which I first learned about with my plastic kayaks, of all things. Whaddaya say?
My test so far on Liquid Glass were tests to test the claimed "No Abrasives." From the tests I have done I think Liquid Glass is mildly abrasive. It is not as abrasive as Meguiar's #6 Cleaner Wax. I also found ProWax's Satin Creme has no abrasive qualities what so ever. So if you want a pure wax/sealant Prowax's Satin Creme is the way to go.

I have no clue about the durability of Liquid Glass at this point. I will be conducting those tests this next week. Things have been delayed because it rained today and I couldn't do any details. I did get to work on my new flyer though

I would go with a paint sealant like Klasse SG. I love Klasse SG on a dark color'ed vehicles. For a light color'ed vehicle then Zaino is the way to go. You can top it off with a good carnauba wax like Meguiar's #26 or One Grand Blitz. Klasse SG and zaino will last a long time though. They stand up to heat and frequent washings very well.

You only have to wash once every two weeks? Ghaa my truck is dirty in two days. I have to wash three times a week!!! But a mobile detailer can't have a dirty vehicle.

I've never heard of Just Once. Sorry. I'll try to find out some information about it though.

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant too. An excellent product!

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Old 06-10-2002, 08:37 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On behalf of EVERYBODY here at f150online, thanks Intel. You're a wealth of information and we really appreciate your help and insight.

RP

Old 06-10-2002, 10:40 AM
I have been using Liquid Glass on my vehicles now for over 17 yrs. I never have any problem with the clear coat from repeated waxing. I do overkill when it comes to waxing. I wax my truck and my wifes 2001 Honda Odyssey van every 2 mths... I do this just for my pleasure. The shine is awesome and I always have comments from others about the shine..... I do highly recommend Liquid Glass and I am sold on this product. It really works wonders on metallic paints. Hope this information helps.

Old 06-12-2002, 10:34 PM
I bought my 99 used. It had obviously never seen wax and I would doubt few car washes. The paint was in very poor condition for a 99, but it had no dents or dings and very few scratches down to the primer. I used mother's pre-wax cleaner, then 3M swirl remover for dark colored paints. I finished it w/ 2 coats of liquid glass and everyone assumed I bought a new '01. Still using just liquid glass every 3 months with outstanding results.

I am curious to find out more about Mothers Reflections Synthetic wax, though. Anyone have any experience, or at least been able to find it?

Old 06-13-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by dlsipe
I am curious to find out more about Mothers Reflections Synthetic wax, though. Anyone have any experience, or at least been able to find it?
I think I've seen it at pepboys. I haven't really heard anything about it.

Old 06-13-2002, 08:44 AM
I've used Mother's Reflection wax. It goes on easy and gives a good shine, but it doesn't hold up for any duration. Plus it still leaves those yellow stains if it comes in contact with the black trim. I prefer Zaino.

Quick Reply: Liquid Glass? Bad or Good?