Turtle Wax

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turtle Wax

Would Turtle wax paste wax do good for my dark wedgwood blue? I've tried Meguire's wax, and it leaves some streaks ( I could wax all day long and not get all of them out!) and light spots in the paint. What would be a good wax for dark colors that a man could buy in a store (advance auto, autozone, etc.) and not have to buy off of the internet? I want my truck to look as good as the day I bought it. It only has a few small minor scratches, and a detail job would be right up my alley. Oh yeah, what is a good polish to use for dark colors also? TIA.

Old 06-15-2002, 06:16 PM
The guy at AutoZone said that Meguire's #26 yellow would do the job. Does this wax last along time before you have to wax again?

Old 06-15-2002, 06:18 PM
mine is a dark turedour red and i use eagle1 wet look,like a mirror

Old 06-15-2002, 06:23 PM
Is that a wax?

Old 06-15-2002, 06:42 PM
"polish and sealer"

Old 06-15-2002, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meguiar's #26 is their Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. Can get it in paste or liquid form. It is from their professional line, the tan bottles. PepBoys sells them here as well as West Marine.

Which Meguiar's wax did you try?

Some of meguiar's waxes streak easily and leave a spotty effect on the surface. To get rid of the spotty effect leave it in the sun for awhile, then wash it and the streaks should be gone as well as the spotty effect.

A lot of carnauba waxes leave a spotty effect. It is just the way carnauba waxes are and is one reason people with show cars wax a few days before the show. You can tell a just waxed surface to a surface that has cured.

Old 06-15-2002, 07:14 PM
Wink

I have a bright red F150 97and I only use eagle one wet look wax and car wash and people think that every time I wash my truck that I polish it but only if they that I just use the eagle one wet look . look I just bought a 1/2gallon of the car wash for $4.00 in walmart

Old 06-15-2002, 10:18 PM
Intel486, I used Meguire's cleaner wax in the maroon tub. But I found out that your not supposed to wax a vehicle in direct sunlight, like I always do. Tonight I waxed my truck in my garage with the Meguire's cleaner wax. It's kinda like a wax and a polish in one. I t's slightly abrasive like a polish but also has the protectivness of a wax. I only wax my truck 5 or 6 times a year so, I think the cleaner wax is the way to go, because my truck gets pretty dirty in between waxes. After about what seemed like 2.5 hours of buffing and polishing, it finally looked nice and shiney again. Whew! I need to take a shower. I smell sweaty.

Old 06-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by East TN F-150
It's kinda like a wax and a polish in one. I t's slightly abrasive like a polish but also has the protectivness of a wax.
Yep, hence why it is called a cleaner wax...

Cleaner waxes don't last long though. Meguiar's #6 cleaner wax is great though. So is mother's cleaner wax because it. Goes on easy and buffs off easy. 2.5 hours to do that?! Get an dual-action buffer. It will speed up your waxing soooo much.

Old 06-15-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by locof150
I have a bright red F150 97and I only use eagle one wet look wax and car wash and people think that every time I wash my truck that I polish it but only if they that I just use the eagle one wet look . look I just bought a 1/2gallon of the car wash for $4.00 in walmart
Eagle One wet look is a cleaner wax so every time you are waxing it you are polishing it.

I like the EO wet look wax. It goes on and comes off extremely easy.

Old 06-15-2002, 11:06 PM
I heard that using dawn or joy liquid soap to wash your vehicle will strip off the wax. And that's what I've been using all my life. Should I buy a concentrated car soap? Or does it make any difference? All that work waxing my truck would be a total waste if it does actually strip it off. TIA.

Old 06-15-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by East TN F-150
I heard that using dawn or joy liquid soap to wash your vehicle will strip off the wax. And that's what I've been using all my life. Should I buy a concentrated car soap? Or does it make any difference? All that work waxing my truck would be a total waste if it does actually strip it off. TIA.
Yes it strips the wax off your truck. I also don't recommend washing with dawn at all. I know I recommened it before because I use to use it for that purpose but I learned a few things. One) dish detergents don't contain water softners (chealting agents) to help prevent waterspots, two) the dawn strips off protection from bare metal and unprotected areas like inside doors and the engine compartment, three) the surfactants in dish detergents are not designed to lift dirt away from the surface thus making scratching while washing more likely, and four) Sodium Chloride is often used in dish detergents as a thickening agent.

Old 06-15-2002, 11:35 PM
i thought klasse AIO was good for dark colors? and doesnt klasse last a very long time?

Old 06-15-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by mudd1
i thought klasse AIO was good for dark colors? and doesnt klasse last a very long time?
The Klasse twins are great for Dark colors! Klasse AIO is a mild cleaner but I don't know about its durability because I always top it with Klasse SG.

The Klasse SG coats I had on my truck for about 6 months before I stripped them. Not sure how long they last though because I don't go longer than 6 months w/o doing a complete detail.

Old 06-15-2002, 11:49 PM
ok let me get this right.AIO goes on first. then SG. how long do you have to wait before applying SG. can i apply it right after i apply the AIO? and would 1 coat of SG be enough?

Last edited by mudd1; 06-16-2002 at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Turtle Wax