Liquid glass

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liquid glass

Used Liquid Glass wax the other day and I did not notice that much of a difference between that and Meg. I will say that it did cost allot more($18). I think I will take it back to Pepboys.

Old 06-28-2002, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harley saies something about having to let it bake onto the paint. Did you do that? Think you have to let your truck sit out in the sun for awhile.

Did you do any type of prep work before applying it? How many coats did you put on.

Old 06-28-2002, 03:33 PM
Yes I did let it bake in the sun. I actually did this a few days ago. I first washed my car very well and then applied a coat of Meg. cleaner wax with a buffer. I then applied one coat of Liquid Glass with the buffer. I of course used seperat pads for all applications. I used a foam pad and a wool pad. It did a really good job but so does Meg. at about 1/3 the price

Old 06-28-2002, 06:54 PM
Used Liquid Glass wax the other day
It contains no wax or silicone, its a polish

um, not sure if i read your last post right, but you can't apply any type of wax before you use LG. You should get the LG precleaner to strip any old wax 1st. Other wise it won't bond to the paint right. Also, the more coats of LG you put on, more you'll notice a difference. Believe me, the compliments i get all the time about what kind of wax i use because truck looks great can back up my claims on LG. I recommend 10 coats as a base, and you should then only need to do it every few months, i know it seems like alot of work, but you can also ask Tampa. He did the 10 base coats when he got his truck, and you've probably seen pics of how beautiful his truck is. When it comes to my truck, thats one thing i don't go cheap on. So what if its 20 bucks a can. It'll last me like 3-4 coats, and its worth it. Usually the stuff that costs 2 dollars at the stores won't last for *****. LG has been around for along time (heck, my dad always used the stuff in the 60's on his vettes, cobras, chargers...etc), and they don't advertise because they don't have to, their stuff speaks for itself. Once you get around 10 coats on (i did my 10 base coats in about 4-5 months time, but tampa did his 4 hrs apart, just enough baking time, it works either way) its easy to maintain. I re glass every 2 or 3 months, or for every auto show. Also, as for durability of the LG, just washing the truck with dawn won't remove it. You'd need to wash your truck in mineral spirits to remove the LG if you wanted to for some unknown reason. Hope this helps ya out a little

you can wax over glass, but you can't glass over wax.

Old 06-28-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Harley#356
You'd need to wash your truck in mineral spirits to remove the LG if you wanted to for some unknown reason.

you can wax over glass, but you can't glass over wax.
I bet my fallout acid would take it off

Yhea, the Liquid Glass probably didn't bond to well because of the wax you applied before hand. Get a mild polish like Meguiar's #9 and go over your truck. That will strip the LG and the other wax. You'll have a clean surface to apply LG

Harley #356, Since you don't strip you LG to use a claybar to take out fallout, etc. how do you keep your truck feeling like glass and not sandpaper?

Old 06-29-2002, 12:03 AM
I dunno, still feels/looks like glass to me
I'm definately not gonna strip the stuff, i may try a claybar one of these days. But anyway, the paint feels perfect to me. Set a rag on the hood and it just slides right off

Old 07-02-2002, 02:00 PM
Will Liquid Glass help to remove swirls?

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by deep6blue
Will Liquid Glass help to remove swirls?
Liquid Glass is not suppose to be abrasive so it might fill in swirls. I haven't tested its swirl filling abilities though. Harley might know if it does.

Old 07-02-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Harley#356
I dunno, still feels/looks like glass to me
I'm definately not gonna strip the stuff, i may try a claybar one of these days. But anyway, the paint feels perfect to me. Set a rag on the hood and it just slides right off
Do what Zaino people do. Just clay right over the Z and then start applying again. Most people who use Z don't strip it. They just keep on applying it.

Old 07-02-2002, 08:10 PM
Me an Intel put 1 coat on and we were i na rush so we could finish before it rained, but the LG looks great even though i only have 1 coat im sold

Old 07-02-2002, 09:14 PM
oh beastie, just want to give you a little fyi, so you don't get discouraged and abandon LG. If you just applied LG and it doesn't have enough bake time (sometimes it can take a day or two with high humidity and multiple coats) and then it rains, and you dry off the truck, or wash it soon after, the LG will probably streak and look like the truck has spider webs or swirls all over it in the sunlight. I get this once in a while when i wash it soon after i glass it, but all you need to do is rebuff it and let it sit and "bake" a little more and it will disappear, or just reglass it and it looks perfect again

My other only complaint is sometimes with alot of coats, on my hood it will streak when i buff it off. All you need to do is dampen a rag and a little elbow grease and it comes off and looks great

o yeah, and Intel, i probably will do that and just clay right over the glass. Not sure when i will though

Old 07-02-2002, 09:17 PM
thanks harley me and intel will probably get together soon and do it right

Old 07-03-2002, 09:21 AM
I agree with Harley#356, I use Liquid Glass and love the shine. I have been using LG for over 15 years and it has never failed me and I am very fond of a mirror like shine on any Ford truck.
Thumbs up to Liquid Glass. Glad to hear that someone else is willing to spend $16 - $20 dollars for a quality shine.

Old 07-03-2002, 10:24 AM
I never said it wasn't good stuff. I really liked it and it did a GREAT Job All I am saying is the Meg Gold Class appears to me to be about the same.. just one mans opinion...by the way I am not in any car shows or detailer by any means. I am the type of guy that is happy with an A and not a A+. To me there is not much of a differennce between excellent and superb

Old 07-03-2002, 02:27 PM
Hello all, I use Zaino and really love it and the shine it gives. Like Intel said I clay over it and reapply.

My questions is this, anyone use Zaino and then try the LG? If so was the shine about the same? better? not noticable? Always looking for good information on keeping my truck looking as good as possible, thanks

Quick Reply: Liquid glass