chrome exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chrome exhaust tips

is it ok to use something like Turtle wax on your exhaust tips???? I just got some duals put on my beast last week and the tips are 22" long. I don't like Chrome poilsh because of the abrasives in it. If it's ok to use the wax, maybe like once a month should be sufficient??????

Old 06-29-2002, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wax won't last the drive down the block. Wax's melting point is around 150 degrees. Depends on the wax, How much carnauba vs. how much beeswax or parafin is in it.

Your exhaust tips get a lot hotter than that and will simply cook it off. If it is chrome then you are going to have to use a polish to keep them shiny. I'm not even sure if a synthetic could stand up to the heat.

Old 06-29-2002, 06:14 PM
so find a good tough polish maybe like Meguiars Step 1 Deep Crystal polish????????. If this is not good to use maybe you or someone have some suggestions, I want to keep them lookin pretty!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by f-150_91
so find a good tough polish maybe like Meguiars Step 1 Deep Crystal polish????????. If this is not good to use maybe you or someone have some suggestions, I want to keep them lookin pretty!!!!!!!!!!!
No, Meguiar's Step 1 Deep Crystal polish is a paint polish. You are going to need something for metal, specifically Chrome. Are you sure your chrome tips aren't clear coated? They probably aren't but just incase, when you start to use a polish on them check to see if your polishing rag is getting a black residue on it. If it is, then they don't have a clear coat.

I personally use Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream. It is for Chrome, Aluminum, and Mag Wheels. I use it on my chrome nerf bars and it leaves behind a protective coating of some sort. You can tell a difference in the way the water beads off them when I have a fresh coat on them. I also use this stuff on a brass belt buckle and it didn't start showing tarnish for several weeks. Before it would show tarnish the next day!

Old 07-02-2002, 01:28 PM
I use mothers mag and aluminum polish. Worked wonders on my one rim that was dull from the factory. now its shiny as the rest. stuff works great

o yeah, Intel, what is the black stuff that shows on teh rag???

Old 07-02-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Harley#356
o yeah, Intel, what is the black stuff that shows on teh rag???
I think it is the tarnish you are removing. It only shows up when you are using a metal polish on non-clearcoated metal. Just the best way to tell if the metal is clear or non-clear.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:50 PM
I have tried all the aluminum and chrome polished blue magic and mothers and by far the best one is Wenol it is great. It does a much better job than the others.

Wenol Polish

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2002, 05:55 PM
which one?

eagle one never dull wadding polish...has the wadding in the polish,all you need is one of mamas show towels from the bath room to bring a nice shine to the tips or your eye if mama finds out first

Old 07-03-2002, 01:14 AM
Re: which one?

Originally posted by TexfordD
eagle one never dull wadding polish...has the wadding in the polish,all you need is one of mamas show towels from the bath room to bring a nice shine to the tips or your eye if mama finds out first
Yhea forgot about the EO never dull. It is also a very good metal polish. Seen it take old tarnished brass buckles and make them look new in a second. You also don't have to deal with any messy creams or liquids.

Quick Reply: chrome exhaust tips