Clay Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay Bar Question

Well, as you may have read in my other thread, i'm going to be trying Zaino for the heck of it, so i can compare the Z shine with LG. Before i use the Z, i wanna do a claybar. I never used one before so i was looking for some tips/howto. And what brand do you guys recommend? Thanks alot

-#356 (Josh)

Old 07-07-2002, 05:01 PM
Go to an auto body supply store and buy the clay magic blue. It is by far the best one I have tried. The one from mothers was terrible.

Old 07-07-2002, 06:02 PM
o yeah, i meant to add this in. Whats the prices for the various clay bars also? And does it come with a lube? Thanks

Old 07-08-2002, 02:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear a lot about clay magic but have yet to use it.

Mothers is by far the best consumer clay I have used. Use the Mother's Showtime QD and it'll work great. If you try to use it with soap and water then it'll get slimy and fall apart. Most people who complained about mothers used soap and water. I would probably be using mother's clay if I could buy just the clay. It is $20 for a brick of clay, a small bottle of their cleaner wax, and then a bottle of their showtime quick detailer.

I like ProWax's Clay Away 3. It is expensive though but it is hard to streak.

Eagle one's clay gets the job done but it streaks easily.

Old 07-08-2002, 09:27 AM
Aight, thanks guys. I'm probably just going to go with the Zaino Clay bar if i get the stuff. Anyway, any other tips or do's and don'ts on claying? Never did it before. Thanks

Old 07-09-2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Harley#356
Anyway, any other tips or do's and don'ts on claying? Never did it before. Thanks
Back and forth, not circles.

Make sure your truck is clean

If it is a big bar of clay, then cut it up into smaller pieces. I divide my 7oz clay away bar into four smaller pieces. If you drop a piece, then you can just throw it away instead of risking scratching your paint. If you drop your 7oz bar, then you just wasted a lot of money!

Kneed your piece of clay often!

More lubricant is better than less!

The first time you do it to a vehicles it will take the most time. Keep going on a section until the claybar stocks 'clicking" and just glides across the surface without hitting any more rough spots.

Some people use soap and water for lubrication. I find it makes the clay slimy. I think it is a lot easier to go with a spray bottle of quick detailer and the clay bar.

If the clay is too slippery for you, then wear a rubber glove in whichever hand you use with the clay.

If the clay streaks, then briskly move the claybar over the streak. It should lift a lot of it up. If you apply pressure to a streak, then you'll just make it worse.

Old 07-09-2002, 10:23 AM
thanks

Trending Topics

Old 07-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Harley,

If you buy the car wash from Zaino use it with water don't remember how much car wash to water, but Zaino has instruction on the amount. I use it that way and it works awesome with the Zaino clay.

Old 07-11-2002, 07:10 AM
The Zaino Clay Bar holds up really well in the Zaino car wash. I've found that I can cut about 1/2 the time off the clar baring process by using the Car Bar with a bucket of Zaino Car wash mixed just like I would if I were going to wash my truck. I prelube the surface with a wash mit full of the Z7 suds.......... clay a large section....... and rise off! If I think there is any clay bar residue left on the surface, I will go back over that area with the Z7 suds and rinse again. Works great!

Old 07-11-2002, 09:22 AM
I've never used a clay bar before...what do they do?

Old 07-12-2002, 08:16 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As you're moving the clay bar back and forth across your finish, the clay traps the surface contaminants (the reason a vehicle's finish feels rough to the touch after a year or two) inside the clay bar itself.

Alot of the clay bar kits that are available on the market come with a 'lubricant' of sorts (similar to a quick detailer type product). You simply spray that lubricant on to the vehicle in a small area (3'X3' or so) and work the clay bar back and forth until the area is smooth as a baby's butt. Continue for the rest of the vehicle.

It makes a WORLD of difference in removing all the stubborn surface contaminants that paint cleaners miss.

RP

Old 07-12-2002, 08:22 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also have a question...

Is it safe to use the clay bar AFTER using a paint cleaner to remove the remaining suficial contamination?

Also, the CLAY MAGIC clay brand... anyone have any insight on how good this stuff really is? For some reason, it seems to be just about the only brand that I can find locally.

RP

Old 07-12-2002, 01:02 PM
I just found out Pro's Clay is just Auto Magics clay repackaged. I love Pro's clay... I mean Auto Magic clay. Best I've found yet. I also love mothers clay. It is excellent.

RockPick, yes you can use clay after a paint cleaner. It might leave fine scratches so you might want to go back over it with a polish. I sometimes clay a car after I've gone over it with a compound because the oxidation is sooo bad. Would be like claying sandpaper if I didn't compound it first.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Question