run in paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
run in paint

I was getting out of my truck the other day and noticed that there is a run in the paint on the drivers side door. It is almost right on the door edge and I only really noticed it because I could feel that it wasn't completely smooth when I was shutting my door. My truck is only one month old and I am kind of disappointed about the run in the paint. I know how hard it is for body shops to get a perfect match on the paint without painting the whole truck, but short of that, what can I do. Or would it be better to just leave it like it is.

Jeremy

Old 07-08-2002, 01:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This should not be a problem for the following reasons...

1. There should be little to no color loss or change due to limited exposure to elements

2. The paint shop should be equipt with an IR paint scanner which will put the color mix within 1/2 shade.

3. Check to ensure the touch up painter is trained and certified by the paint manufacturer of the brand they are using. FYI, PPG has an excellent program.

As long as these 3 elements are in place, the repaint should be un noticable to the eye.

Old 07-08-2002, 02:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your paint is at all metallic, then it'll be a biatch to get a proper match. I had my bedcover painted and they got the metallic particles pretty close but they are bigger than in the rest of the truck.

I would not try to sand down the drip. Sometimes the drip is not in the clear but in the base coat or the primer. If it is in the basecoat, then you'll sand off the UV protection of the clear and expose the paint to UV light. If it is in the primer, then you'll quickly sand through the Clear and base coat and get a nice gray primer colored dot on your truck.

Old 07-08-2002, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truck is the 2002 white color and there are no flakes in it. It doesn't really bother me that much, but I don't want it to be something that I will regret not getting fixed in the future.

Me sanding it is definitely not an option. I am not adventurous enough to put any grit sandpaper on the paint of my truck.

I am going back to the dealer on Friday to get some running boards put on, I might just let them take a look at it and let me know what they think.

Thanks for the advice.

Jeremy

Quick Reply: run in paint