Paint care

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint care

When I bought my used 97' F-150 the dealership used some of that touch up paint that comes in what looks like a fingernail polish bottle. Does that stuff ever come off? and is it the best stuff to cover up paint dings and scratches? Also I noticed on my hood that I have some wierd white flakes here and there, it looks like little cotton terry towel fuzzballs but they are under the clearcoat and you can only see them at and angle. They are only on the hood, but is there anything I can use on them? Thanks.

Old 07-08-2002, 12:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That touch up paint is the best thing to use, if it is used correctly.

If the goober did it like dambing it on ( I never use the brush that comes with it ) and you have a pimple on your paint, sorry to hear that.
if the chip or scratch is prep'd correctly ( with a small diamond tip pen mine is a 3M ) and care is taken it will not look bad at all.

The white specs, are they under the clear coat ?

If you run your fingernail over them can you feel it ?

If you cannot, it sounds like someone had the hood reclear coated without repairing the dings ( that would be real dumb, consider the wet sanding needs to take place before the clear anyway ).

Check and see if you can feel them, it might just be a stone chip in the paint. My last truck had a bunch of them ( dark metalic blue ) and it looked like white poka-dots.

Just something to check out.

Which dealer did you get it at ?

I am looking for a new one, Larry "Roach"'s serivce dept has done pissed me off, and I am looking for a new one.

Old 07-08-2002, 07:47 PM
no you cant feal them, so yes they are under the clear coat. I saw them after I waxed the car so maybe it is just the fuzz of the buffer that is waxed onto the paint???? Could you explain the process you use with the paint and 3m marker. I got the truck at Greene county truck and auto in Roodhouse, Illinois. I have been real happy with it and their service.

Old 07-08-2002, 09:21 PM

I'm sure you wil get at least one other way

This is how I take care of them, I am sure someone will give you another way.

I washed the hood with Dawn dish washing deterg.

Cleaned each of the chips with a Q tip and Rubbing achol, and let them dry ( can use a blow dryer to speed this up, not much time is needed. I just have a smoke, and shake the paint.

Use the diamond pen to clean up the chip

Use the 3M rust avenger primer to replace what is gone under the paint.

I use touch up paint brushes, made for painting stone chips, detail places and body work type web sites carry them. they look like a Q tip, only they are not cotton, and are much smaller ( Griots Garage comes to mind, but thier stuff is way expensive some times, I think I got mine from Eastwood Company ).

I take the cap off of the bottle, set it aside, and dab the touch up brush ever so lightly in the paint on the rim. Then with a steady hand dab a small amount in the chip. Becareful not to over fill the chip, or you will get the pimple affect.

With the first dab in, I let it sit and dry a little bit ( shake the bottle some more, or continue around the other chips.

Check them out even if a small indent is left, it is ok in my mind. The reason I touch them up is to stop rust, not so much for 100% perfect.

If you have clear shot over the chips ( still cannot figure that one out ), I woudl just leave it.

The paint supplies have pics in thsi galery
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=2028

Let me know if I answered your questions alright

Old 07-09-2002, 01:02 AM
oh ya you have, thanks

Old 07-11-2002, 01:50 PM

Just got my new Eastwood catalog..

On page 46 there is a keen little 3M chip repair kit that I'm going to order.

It has the fiberglass rust brush, aersol can of PRE, 40 touchup applicators, and a final finish system with a 1500 wet grit sanding paper to smooth out the pimple ( the design of these seems to make it hard to score the clear coat around the chip.

http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/

Part number 34116Z

I have a few things I am going to order, and this is one of them !

Just thought I woudl pont you at an all in one kit from 3M, rather then trying to make your own from individual items.

Quick Reply: Paint care