removing badges and molding

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing badges and molding

I want to remove the badges and molding from my truck. Can any of you give advice on how to do this without damaging the paint or clear coat?
A friend said to let the truck sit in the hot sun and it will be easier to get them off.
Shoud I use a heat gun? What should I use to remove the adhesive, that won't effect the clear coat? I am having the truck buffed next week, will the adhesive come off, and will the clear coat even the color out (faded, not faded)?
I know there are a few who have done this. Care to let me know how you did it?

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2002, 10:17 AM
Removing badges

I have heard that the best way to do this is get a hair dryer or heat gun and heat up the badge...not too hot with the heat gun....we do not want to melt it. Then take a 20 lb fishing line and this will have a saw effect. it may take several time of heating up and fishing line but it will work. The best thing that I use to remove adhesive is WD-40. Mind you that this is all that it is good for.... Remember take your time and do not get in a hurry. How old is your paint? Has the paint been kept in good condition? Under the badges could be very shinny new paint....

Old 07-19-2002, 11:52 AM
yeah i changed my badges with newer ones when i acetoned them... i used fishing line also...worked well...what do you plan on covering all the holes with????

Old 07-19-2002, 06:22 PM
Cover the holes?
I was under the impression that they only used the two sided tape now. Good thing I have this place to run my ideas by before I go an 'F' something up!
So, if they still drill holes in the body panels to fasten the badges and molding on I guess I will wait till I can plan an entire repaint. That could be a while!
I wanted a clean look. I think it would look pretty smooth without the stuff on there.
Thanks folks. You saved me a hassle!
Back to the drawing board to figure out what I can do at little to no cost.

Old 07-20-2002, 02:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I don't think there are holes under the body molding, but under the badges, yes. Several people on the boards here have removed the body trim. Be careful because you can distort body panels if you do it incorrectly. Definitely heat it up in the sun, and use some type of release agent (WD-40, Sticker Shock, etc...) to soften up the adhesive.,,,,98

Old 07-20-2002, 04:15 PM
ive done it, not to my truck. A car (was into that "Bling" Bling" bullsh*t) Its a pain in the but but take your time. A heat gun works well BUT BE CAREFUL. That thing can get hot real quick. I cant remember what I used to get the residue off but WD-40 sounds good. The fishing line trick sounds like it would work well I just popped the stuff off after I melted the adhesive. Only problem with doing this is with the molding off get ready for a lot of door dings or parking way the hell out in no-man's land.

Old 07-22-2002, 10:39 AM
I removed the badges on my truck. There are 3 holes under the badge. There is a hole at the top-left of the "F" and the bottom-right of the "0". There is also a hole in the center.

I replaced my badges with some custom ones I had made. I'll post pictures when I get them developed.

Quick Reply: removing badges and molding