Cleaning wax off plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning wax off plastic?

What do yall do to get the wax off plastic? I have plastic door handles on back and sides of my truck and there is wax on there that doesn't wash off. Also on the logos there is wax on the black paint. Thinking about doing that acetone gig if I can't get the wax off. I've also seem several pictures on this site with the trim around the back window (that has the brake light) painted the same color as the truck. Is there a way to clean it off or should I just paint it? It looks like it was black at one time, but it is grey with white streaks on it now and looks like crap.

Old 09-22-2002, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the people who have the trim the same color of their truck have painted it. I'll eventually get around to doing it on my truck. You'll need to pull it off, sand it down, and then start the painting process.

For the wax on the trim first try a small brush and scrub at the trim. Try a spraying some quick detailer on there. If that doesn't work, then try a strong solution of dawn to scrub with. The dawn solution will strip any wax on the paint so if you get any on the paint, then rewax those areas.

If that doesn't work, then try scrubbing bubbles.

Old 09-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Thanks Intel486. I see your nic is a bit obsolete.........

Appreciate it, I'll have to look into painting that peice around the rear window.

Wonder how well the plastic door handles would paint up? I guess I'll get some Dawn on it, painting that plastic handles probably wouldn't hold up well. Friend at work has an Eddie Bauer Expedition with painted handles that look like they would fit, but I don't think they are made of the same plastic.

Thank again!

Old 09-22-2002, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think my door handles are painted...

Just make sure your rings or keys don't scratch them and they should hold up fine if it is a quality paintjob.

Old 09-23-2002, 12:18 AM
this sounds crazy but works- put a little warm creamypeanut butter on the trim with wax on it, rub in and wash off it works

Old 09-23-2002, 01:19 AM
I have had the same problem and the peanut butter/toothbrush does work for me if a bit tedious at times.

This weekend I used 303 on the tonno cover and found out it also does a good job on making the trim look good as well as removing the wax buildup on the trim.

Quick Reply: Cleaning wax off plastic?