Pitted Windshield Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitted Windshield Fix?

I know this is asking for a miracle, but does anyone know of a technique to help get rid of pitting in the windshield? I've tried 3-M rubbing compound. There probably isn't a fix, but I thought I'd at least throw out a hook.

Old 09-24-2002, 12:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
describe it some more with pictures.

If it is really deep, then you can't polish it out.

Might call someone who does glass repair and have them look at it.

Old 09-24-2002, 12:18 AM
I know just what your talking about. Mines pitted bad from miles of following sand/gravel trucks and general use. If your looking to do yourself I would check out the Eastwood Company at www.eastwoodco.com. I know they make some glass polishing kits.
As Intel mentioned I think I would have a pro glassman look at mine. I would hate to use a polishing kit and mess it up worse then now by destoying whatever optical clarity it has left. I don't know what it would cost to have one replaced out of pocket. Most people around here do not know what price it would be as broken windshields are replaced free of charge 1 time a year per vehicle according to KY state law.

Old 09-24-2002, 08:27 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by KYFordFreak
...windshields are replaced free of charge 1 time a year per vehicle according to KY state law...
Ahh, one of the few spiffs to living in the great Commonwealth of Kentucky....

RP

Old 09-24-2002, 09:37 AM
Thanks guy's.
It's not major, slight sand blasting that stands out when the sun hit's it just right and scrathes from a ice scrapper, Alaska frost is tough. I may try the kit from eastwood once I get a compressor.
I believe you can get a windshield replaced under comprensive coverage , but what if you only have liability? who pays? I know KY is a welfare state, but a free windshield?

I grew up in KY, all my family still lives there. After graduating from high school in 83 the only job prospect was coal mining. Not for me, so I joined the Air Force. I'll retire next year, haven't regretted it a bit. Haven't made up my mind whether to go back or not, the economy isn't much better now than back in 83.

GO BIG BLUE!

Old 09-25-2002, 12:07 AM
Well, you know exactly what it's like down here then. I knew there was something I liked about you, LOL. I'm not sure on the liabilty part. Mines just they way you described but it's not cracked and I find it wrong to break my own windshield just to have one put in free.
I know what you mean coal mining would not be for me either. You must have been from the eastern or southern part of the state, right? No there economy is not great but it could be worse and it's not a bad state to live in, IMO.
I would like to thank you for the many great years of service you have put into our great country.

Old 09-25-2002, 06:11 PM
KyFordFreak
Thanks for the support, it means alot. I still call Harlan County home and I'd go back in a minute if I could afford to. I would if I was a General instead of an E-7

I know what you mean about breaking the windshield just to get a replacement. Some folks would break it and sue their insurance company because they claim they got a sliver of glass in their eye.
I insured a couple of vehicles in KY a couple of years ago while I went to Korea for a year and my rates went considerably higher. I asked why when nothing had changed except location
(same company/coverage) and they said because the laws of KY allow people to sue easier and get a bigger judgment than most places. Heck, that place had a lower accident rate than where I left. Crazy, Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Pitted Windshield Fix?