Tips on proper paint care

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Tips on proper paint care

Intel486,

I was sitting here thinking about all the good advice that comes from this forum on body care.

How about we use this thread for folks to post their little tricks on paint care. I'm thinking that at some point it will be a nice list of advice.

Here is my little bit of advice to start it out.

Never use an applicator or cloth that has been dropped on the ground during cleaning. Wash it first. Have a few extras around so you can toss the dropped applicator or towel aside and keep working.

Even if dirt is not visable on the cloth...fine particles of dirt can create swirls.

Old 09-26-2002, 08:01 PM
use separate sponges on your paint and your wheels. Keeps brake dust off paint.

use turtle wax chrome polish on chrome exhaust tips. trust me youll thank me

drive it like you stole it

Old 09-26-2002, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good idea, Think there are a few thread lurking around like this here or on FTW.

I'll think of some stuff to add.

Old 09-26-2002, 11:49 PM
How about this one?

If you live in an area with alot of polution or smog, wash your truck just as soon after the rain as possible. Rain in high polution areas is acidic and will actually eat into your clear coat within a few days leaving very hard to remove water spots.

Rocks

Come on everybody, there has to be several pearls of wisdom or little tricks that can help us all.

Old 09-27-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Rocks
If you live in an area with alot of polution or smog, wash your truck just as soon after the rain as possible. Rain in high polution areas is acidic and will actually eat into your clear coat within a few days leaving very hard to remove water spots.
Doesn't matter if you wash it. Once acid rain dries on the paint the damage is done.

Acidic rain absorbs into you paint because it is porus. As the water evaporates the acid become more concentrated. Every time the vehicle becomes wet the acid goes back to work.

Old 09-27-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Intel486
Doesn't matter if you wash it. Once acid rain dries on the paint the damage is done.

Acidic rain absorbs into you paint because it is porus. As the water evaporates the acid become more concentrated. Every time the vehicle becomes wet the acid goes back to work.

Well,

In that case.....from here on in, my truck stays in the garage when it rains. They will just have to understand at the office

Rocks

Hey Intel,
Your suppose to give a solution in this thread.

Actually, I know what the solution is, but I want to hear it from you. Hint....What does a good wax..carnuba or synthetic do to help with porus paint?

Last edited by Rocks; 09-27-2002 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:44 AM
Wax will help keep the acid from seeping into the paint but think, if it can eat paint away...how well will wax stand up to it

Old 09-27-2002, 12:49 AM
That relates back to washing the truck ASAP after the rain stops.

I have actually been seen down at the car wash two hours after the rain stops. I'm sure the locals think I am nuts.

I did mention that I am pretty **** about my paint...LOL.

Rocks

Quick Reply: Tips on proper paint care