total newbie with questions/problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 12:49 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
total newbie with questions/problems

I have a 98 Black F-150 4x4 off road, and being black, you guys out there with black trucks know how tough it is to get a black truck looking good and stay looking good. I get compliments on my truck all the time, but being a 98, you know the black isn't as black as it used to be.

How can I get my truck black...I mean REALLY black and keep it that way for a long time? It doesn't have any major paint problems (with the exception of the usual tiny chips from regular road use). I tried a coat of Meguire's Gold Class (I think their top of the line polish/wax), and it looked great for a few weeks, and water still beads on the truck, but it just doesn't look as good as it did when I first waxed it. Kinda looks hazy at times.

I've seen a new product from Eagle 1 called Wet Wax or something like that. I think you spray it on a wet vehicle after washing and then dry the vehicle with the wax still on it and....presto....a showroom finish. Just seems too good to be true. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Old 09-29-2002, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey-
First go buy some liquid glass auto polish from autozone, or do a search on the internet and order it. It;s the best polish out there trust me.
1) use dawn dish soap all over the truck to remove all old wax, etc.
2) apply 2 or 3 coats of Liquid Glass to all painted and chromed surfaces, waiting about an hour in between each coat for curing time.
3) after the 2-3 coats of LG is applied, apply a coat of Meguiars carnuba, yellow, or gold class wax. Get some Meguiars Quick detailer too--that stuff is good for quick touch ups..
Be sure to do everything. If you have painted rims, wax those. Go buy some turtle wax chrome polish and use on bumpers.

do this and that truck will look new
Patrick

Old 09-29-2002, 01:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well with dark colors, or any color for that fact, the way to keep it looking good is to provide the proper maintence to it. What I mean is, after you spend the time to get it back to showroom finish, then you'll have to keep it waxed and use a polish on it regularly.

I suggest you start by fixing the rock chips if they are bad. Then you should probably polish your whole truck. Gonna take awhile if you don't have a buffer though. Meguiar's #9 works great by hand. Use a foam applicator and back and forth hand motions.

After you have polished it, then apply your wax of choice. There aer many to choose from like Klasse Sealant Glaze, Blitz, P21S, Meguiar's #26, and Meguiar's Gold Class.

Using a hand polish on it regularly will keep the swirls down. Applying wax often will keep the deep wet look and slow down oxidation and UV rays.

Quick Reply: total newbie with questions/problems