? for Intel486

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ? for Intel486

Hey Intel486:

Not to sound like a complete idiot, but what exactly is a 3-step mirror glaze? I know it is suppose to be a great wax job, but what do they do as far as 3-steps? And how long does it usally last?

Not that I am going to do it, I love my Zaino but I have always wondered just what they do and how long it last.

Thanks for the information.

Old 10-19-2002, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3-step mirror glaze from what company? Meguiar's Mirror Glaze thing?

A three step process is usually a compound, then a polish and then a wax. It isn't something that is done all the time. Usually every 6 months you'll want to 2-step it (Polish followed by fresh coat of wax) You really won't need a compound unless the paint is really bad. Lots of scratches, oxidation, etc.

Even w/ Zaino paint should be 2 or 3-stepped every once in awhile.

Old 10-19-2002, 05:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a ? for you what whould be the best thing to do to a truck that hasn't been waxed ever.

Old 10-19-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by hmustang
I have a ? for you what whould be the best thing to do to a truck that hasn't been waxed ever.
How old is it? If it is older and has some oxidation then a 3-step process by a Pro w/ a rotary will make it look new. If it has been oxidized a long time. Then the oxidation may have extended into deeper layers of paint meaning a lot of paint will have to be removed.

If it is newer (Little over a year) then a 2-step process by a Pro w/ a rotary will bring back the new shine and possible remove the spiderweb swirls most new cars come with. Might also need and acid bath to remove rail dust and a clay bar.

Where are you at in Tennessee?

Old 10-21-2002, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the information. Intel I am not sure what they use, fact of the matter is I never asked about it. Ok, another most likely stupid question but I have to ask.

This has never happen to me but I keep my supplies in the garage which is right under my house also where the heater is located. Anyway with my supplies of car wash etc I keep my Zaino and other waxes. If they were to freze would that hurt them? where you couldn't use them, or if you did they wouldn't do what they are suppose to do?

Before I had this place with a garage the other place didn't have a garage so I kept my stuff in the house so that is why I am asking. I don't think it will get below frezing but when I go to work I turn down the heat to like 50 degrees then back up when I get home. I know the garage is colder then the house.

Old 10-21-2002, 09:32 PM
Ohh are you talking about a Pro detailer doing a three step process?

You need to keep it from freezing. Sometimes they will change or the chemicals seperate. If they are in a garage near a heater, then I don't think they would freeze... of course. I don't live in an area where it gets cold so I can't tell you.

Old 10-22-2002, 08:35 PM
Thanks Intel, I think I will go ahead and keep them in the house to be safe.

Yes I was talking about a pro detailer as far as the 3-step process. I should have said that in the begining and been a little more clear about it. I just have always wondered just what they did and how long it lasted.

You mentioned even if I am using Zaino I should still do a 2 or 3 step process now and then. So my question, or questions to you would be, and mind you I am a beginer with this detailing stuff so they may sound, well not so bright

First question, why would I need to do any other steps if I keep Zaino on my truck? Wouldn't that protect the paint so as not to need any type of cleaning? (with the exception of claying)

What would be the benifit of doing this other process? Just what would I ask someone to do as far as a 2 or 3 step? I am guessing this process would strip the Zaino off that was on the truck so would I be able to Zaino over what ever they did? If they have wax on it from this process, as far as Zaino goes, I would need to strip that off before I could use the Zaino again, and finally what would I expect to pay for this process? The reason I ask that is I would guess if this process was to be done correctly it would require a buffer and I just don't feel comfortable enough to use a buffer on MY truck.

However I would feel VERY comfortable using a buffer on my X's car

Trending Topics

Old 10-22-2002, 09:32 PM
Without looking close up at your paint in the sun I can't tell you what exactly you need done. Probably needs a three-step right now. Then w/ proper care you'll just need to have a two-step done periodically.

Yes, a 2-step or 3-step process will strip Zaino.

I see you have a 2001 XLT sport. Guessing that's a regular cab truck? Painted Bedcover? What color is it? Info is just so I can get an idea of what it would cost to have a 3-step done.

You probably want a three step done since your truck probably has spiderweb swirls. Most trucks come standard with those

I spent an afternoon on my truck and pretty much got rid of them all. It looks so much better now. I was having trouble with the stuff I had so I went to my Pro distributor and was like, "This stuff isn't getting those out. What can I do?" He's like, "Those are easy to get out, You need this stuff." He pulled out this creamy cutter and went to work on my hood w/ the rotary. The spiderweb swirls were gone right away!

I worked on Beastie's 95 F-150 and his spiderweb swirls came out pretty easily with some other stuff. Guess the older paint is softer. I know Saturn's paint is super soft and Lexus paint you need a buffer to touch even light imperfections.

If you ever want to take a trip to NO, then drive and I can work on your truck

Old 10-23-2002, 09:01 PM
Hey Intel,

If I could I love to drive down and have you work on my truck then I would know it was completely done right. Yes my truck is an 01 reg cab. silver. I had read on here before about the spider webs a while back and looked over my truck real good, in the sun at differenct angles and I dont see any at all, not that I don't have them or maybe not looking at it right, but no matter how I look at it from angles in the sun, or in the shade from a few feet away to just inches away I dont really see any imperfections in the paint, with the exception of one area by the door if you look just right it looks as if when the paint was wet some one wiped a rag in an area. Don't know how to better describe how it looks but like I said unless you look at it just right and know where and what your looking for you can't really notice it.

I have to say when I bought it I looked over the paint real good and did take it to a detailer to do a full job on it, I believe it was the 3 step at the time and he said the paint looked great as far as imperfections. They only reason I never took it back or to any other detailer is because I could never seem to find someone that could keep the wax off the trim. I would pick it up, either my truck or ones before it from different places and it would look great only to find after the first or second wash and removing the oil from the plastic to see the white residue left behind and thats when I decided to do some research on detailing and try it myself. The first, and only time I took it to a detailer they did clay it as well. I clayed it myself the first time I did Zaino approx. 6 - 8 months ago and it was real smooth except a few small areas.

You mentioned that if it was in good shape of which I believe it is then I would need a two-step done periodically. So how often is periodically? and what would I be asking to be done as far as a 2 step? what do they do for a 2 step?

I have been doing most the maintenance myself, trans oil change, rear-end fluid change etc. I also plan on keeping the exterior and interior in the best shape possible since I want to keep this truck well after it is paid off. All this is so much easier to do since I found this site a while back and talk to people such as yourself with a wealth of information. So any suggestions you provide I usally print out and keep in my maintenance book for reference. I would also say if it wasn't for this site and people like you I would still be using that cheap $3.00 wax and doing it every six months and believing I was keeping my truck well maintained

Old 10-23-2002, 09:44 PM
Well, since you work on the truck yourself. Then you can just take it to a detailer and have him strip the zaino and then do a polish on the car. Then once you get it back, then you can give the truck a good waxing w/ zaino.

He can strip the paint two ways. One he can run some sort of prep solvent over the paint. I'd only charge like $5-10 for that.

He can also do an acid bath. I usually charge around $30 for it but it will strip everything off your paint and remove anything out of the paint like rail dust, fallout, etc.

A polish would cost around $30 for a truck like you have.

Your looking at around $50-$70 to have a detailer do an exterior wax, strip the zaino, and polish your truck.

Add another 30 if you want it compounded. Around 20-25 for clay.

These are prices that would hold up in my area but might be different where you are. Shouldn't be too far off though.

Periodically would be every 6 months to a year depending how well you keep your truck up and if it gets scratched, swirled up a lot or if you see oxidation on the paint. I'd say on silver you keep waxed you'd probably only have to have it done once a year.

The best way to see the spiderweb swirls is to take your truck to a car lot at night. Those high overhead lights are perfect for them. Get the reflection of the light and you should see them orbiting out from around the light. They'll be REAL hard to see on silver though!

Quick Reply: ? for Intel486