What do do for severely abused black paint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do do for severely abused black paint?

What would be the best way to refurbish a severely abused balck car. By severely abused, I mean a black 1995 Pontiac Bonneville that probably has never been polished and hasn't seen wax for the better part of a year. It has scratches, swirls, etc.. Even has some small patches where rubbing compound was used and not properly buffed/polished afterward.

I am going to wash it very well then I am sure, at the least, it will need a full body clay bar treatment. Then probably a treatment of Meguiar's No 9 swirl-remover followed by Meguiars No. 7 glaze. Then a good waxing with something or another.

BTW, I will be using a DeWalt DA buffer, so I have a little more "power" than just a polish by hand.

Would that be sufficient to make it look a lot better?

My parents are going to be trading this car in on a new SUV soon, and need to make it look a lot more presentable than it does currently so I told them I would take care of it for them.

Any other ideas/suggestions that you have are very welcome!

Old 10-27-2002, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your gonna have to go agressive on something like that.

3m's Fine Cut Rubbing Compound or Meguiar's Dual-Action Cleaner Polish.

Follow up with Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover.

You might also want to clay it but that is your call.

Old 10-28-2002, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Intel486
You might also want to clay it but that is your call.
I think, after doing all that other stuff, the LAST thing I am going to have time for is Clay. If they were going to be keeping the car, I might, but since this is a "spruce to sell" project, I am not going to bother with that.

Thanks for the Product Reccomendations. Should I be able to get that stuff at PepBoys or a similar store? Or am I going to have to order it?

Old 10-28-2002, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yhea, I just suggested the clay incase you wanted to. not really necessary for this type of job though

Yhea pepboy or similar should have it.

Quick Reply: What do do for severely abused black paint?