Figure 8 pattern????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Figure 8 pattern????????

Hi guys,

I was reading at the properautocare site about how to remove swirls on a car's clearocoat. It says you have to remove a very small portion of the car;s clearcoat, ok fine. However what puzzles me is they say when applying compound, a glaze etc etc etc....... they say to apply the product in a figure 8 pattern!!??? from left to right then up and down untill the compund or polish starts to dry. I find this very strange Here check it out. It says that about the center of the page where the dude is applying the polish to the surface to the little ricer, lol!

http://www.properautocare.com/usporcabpol.html

Old 11-12-2002, 04:48 PM
Don't know about the figure 8 stuff, but circular motion works for me. LOL But seriously, I think they mean to move the buffer in the figure 8....maybe to keep the machine moving, not to damage paint??? Who knows.....but I'll tell you this, I just used Mothers Sealer & Swirl Remover on my black L. Applied by hand. This stuff is awesome!!!!!! Hid almost all the swirlies Left the truck slippery to the touch, and very shiney. I am a very happy girl !!! Also took out the rubbing marks left from the bra my baby wore on the trip to Florida. Black is beautiful, but a B**** to keep looking good.

Old 11-15-2002, 08:22 PM
My01Bolt, very nice truck!
I have heard over the past several years that the proper way to wax is to apply it either horizontical or vertical in a straight line and then remove it in a 90 degree angle to the direction it was applied and that this would eliminate a lot of swirl marks, I have been doing this and it seems to work. I have never heard of the figure 8 thing before. I will have to give Mothers Swirl Remover a try next spring.

Old 11-17-2002, 11:45 AM
Thanks I'll try your way next time.

Quick Reply: Figure 8 pattern????????