Mike, nitrous and a chip???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike, nitrous and a chip???

Hey Mike! I want to pick your brain a little. I just finished the install of a Nitrous Express 125HP wet system on my 2002 BOSS F150 with a 5.4L. I would like to order my Superchip ASAP but I have a question or 2.

First, will I notice any performance increase when the nitrous system is idle? I know the shifting is improved and that is important but will there be any engine performance increase with just the chip.

Second, will the chip have to be reburned if I add a shift kit in the future? Or, if I up the pill size in the nitrous system? I am currently only running the 75HP pill but I am sure it won't be long and I have the 125HP pill installed.

Thanks for your time!

Boss

Old 04-30-2003, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Boss,

Good to see you!

This is something that we really needed to cover in more detail than we can here, so it was good that you called yesterday so we could go over this properly.

Just to give a quick answer here, yes, even without the nitrous you are going to see nice performance gains with just the performance tuning. Optimizing the powertrain programming is generally the single best bang for the buck performance enhancement you can make, that's why so many people use them.

With regard to the chip needing to be recalibrated after installing a shift kit, only if you install the shift kit at high levels, is generally what happens. Using the Transgo shift kit on Level 1 (which they call "police/taxi" for the 4R70W Transgo kit) or Level 2, no, you generally do not need to change anything in the program.

The issue is simply that you don't want an unduly harsh shift on light throttle, when driving "normally," and that doesn't happen with the Transgo kit on either of it's first 2 levels with our normal transmission program changes in the Superchip.

Talk to you soon!

Quick Reply: Mike, nitrous and a chip???