Freshly Installed Microtuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Freshly Installed Microtuner

I just installed my Microtuner today on the "Beast"! Went for a little drive and seemed to have alittle more ooommph!! I do have a question about the speedo adjustment though if anyone can help. I gave it pedal and when it felt li ei was up to speed about 45-50, I looked don and was leaving 70 on the speedo. I thought WOW!! So I'm guessing that was the adjusment made for the tires? Any thoughts?

biggmike2

2002 F150 FX4 Lariat
4" Lift W/Pro Comp 315/75/16
5.4L w/ Airraid Cold Air Induction
Flowmaster40s
and now Superchipped

Old 05-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi BM2,

It's not possible to determine what's happening just from your description, we'd have to see the vehicle and what's really happening.

We don't know if you drove it with the speedo out of whack long enough so that now when it's right, it seems wrong, or if the speedo recalibration really wasn't done right and needs to be corrected, etc. So the best thing we can do is just to give you a tip in general about speedo recalibration with the Micro Tuner.....................

To correct your speedometer, you'll need to physically measure the actual height of your tires. Put the vehicle on a firm level surface (pavement, not grass or soil, etc.), and then measure the distance from the pavement to the top of the tire (measure the rear tires, if all 4 tires aren't exactly the same), to get it's exact height in inches. Then when you go into the options menu on the Micro Tuner, that's the number you plug in for the speedometer correction, it has to be entered in inches.

Never take any manufacturer's word or spec at face value when it comes to tire height for taller tires, as many of them are *not* actually as tall as the manufacturer says. A few are, but many are not, so always take a physical measurement of the exact height, and enter that number into the Micro Tuner so you get the most accurate speedometer calibration.

When the speedometer is out of whack, especially when it's off by more than about 3%-5%, you will also usually have problems/symptoms with weird shift points, both up and down. It may not upshift or downshift at the correct time, because it's a VSS-dependent system. Meaning, if the speedo is off by a significant amount, the transmission isn't getting correct information about vehicle speed, and thus can't upshift & downshift exactly when it should. So it's important to get the speedo calibration corrected.

Of course, as always, the only way to get proper Tech Support for any product is to contact whoever you purchased the unit from, or contact the manufacturer directly. So if you think something isn't right, give your vendor a call, or you can call Superchips directly at the phone number shown in the documentation for the Micro Tuner.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Freshly Installed Microtuner