Chipped Diesel. What kinda HP 2 expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chipped Diesel. What kinda HP 2 expect?

My uncle just put a flip in his Turbo Diesel, how much power are we talking adding to it? He says it supposedly will boil the tires.
What do you guys think?

Old 06-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi jwrape,

We'd have to know exactly which programs he ordered. He could have gained anywhere from as "little" as a whopping 60 HP & 115 lbs./ft. of torque, or all the way up to a huge 110 HP & 245 lbs./ft. of torque, just from the Superchips tuning *alone*, with no other mods.

Any of our performance programs for the 7.3L PSD will generally provide enough torque to light up the tires in most trucks. Try taking an F-350 "dually" running our 110 hp program to the drag strip, you'll see it boil all 4 rear tires about halfway down the 1/4 mile, it's a sight to behold. I don't think he's kidding you on this.

Remember, the 7.3L PSD peaks torque at just 1400 rpm, and with our most aggressive program and just an open intake & exhaust, he could have well over 800 lbs./ft. of torque. Bare minimum, he'll have at least 630 lbs/.ft. @ 1400 rpm at the flywheel even with our lowest power level program for those turbo-diesels, and that's enough to light 'em up pretty good.

Bottom line? Don't bet against this, as most likely his truck will indeed easily boil the rear tires.

Old 06-25-2003, 09:31 PM
When I had my '99 F350 PSD Duallie with the 60hp Superchip, it would light up the tires...not for a long ways but enough to shock the hell outta the ricers and 'Stangs that thought that I was just is some pokey 'ol truck.

Old 06-26-2003, 07:03 AM
Wow, that's something. He said he has two settings. One is for the 60 HP gain and the other is for far over 100hp gain. I just couldn't imagine just a chip producing so much extra hp.
Why can't they do that for our normal Gas cars?

Old 06-26-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by jwrape
Why can't they do that for our normal Gas cars?
PSD has a turbo charger....the standard gas engines don't.

Old 06-26-2003, 10:10 AM
i understand, but even a chip with a supercharged or Turbo charged car doesn't offer that type of power. Does it?

Old 06-26-2003, 08:31 PM
I have a VW Passat with the 1.8 turbo. Stock hp of 150. Purchased a chip from www.goapr.com and the little speed demon has 198hp now. (Wife got her first ticket a while back). Proper tuning of factory turbo charged vehicles DOES make a big difference. The chip for my car increased boost pressure from .4 bars to 1.0 bars among other things.

It is possible that Ford just doesn't tune the PSD engines very good leaving a lot of room for improvement. I am pretty sure that the Superchip increased the boost to the turbo as one of the tuning points.

Wish I still had my PSD.

Last edited by Ed Marvin; 06-26-2003 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi jwrape,

There is no comparison between a small normally aspirated gasoline engine and a giant turbocharged diesel engine.

A normally aspirated gasoline engine has little in common with a forced induction (turbocharged) engine of any kind, especially a turbodiesel like the Ford PSD, GM's Duramax or Dodge's Cummins unit, all of which we tune. There is absolutely nothing in common between your engine and a Powerstroke diesel with regard to the kinds of power gains that can be made via program changes alone.

You engine gains power from the Superchips tuning via us retuning that motor for premium gasoline, and by doing that, you generally get roughly about a 10% power gain.

But in a modern turbocharged engine, boost levels can be controlled via the PCM's programming, and increasing boost yields LARGE & safe power gains, **if done correctly**, keeping EGT's in line, etc.

The PSD's can easily have very large power gains added without compromising the motor, as it was originally designed to operate a much higher power levels than what Ford uses. The PSD is not a Ford motor, that's International's design, which they sell to Ford, and which Ford detunes down significantly.

Bottom line? You can't make a comparison between your engine and a turbocharged diesel, if you want to gain 100+ HP in your truck, that is easily done of course, but you'll have to do a LOT more than just a powertrain program.

Have fun,

Quick Reply: Chipped Diesel. What kinda HP 2 expect?