Need tips for SuperChip install in *square* body style

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need tips for SuperChip install in *square* body style

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice to offer for installing a SuperChip in the old, 'square' body style. (This would be the one previous to the current 'aero' style F150 that was last used in 1996). I've not turned up anything in searching past posts but if I missed something sorry for the repeat.

I'm not faulting the included instructions - it's just that they're oriented to the aero / current F150 and the setup for that cab style is *completely* different from mine. (Example on mine, the ecu is stuffed way up between the cab wall and the ebrake bracket on the driver side, not fairly accessible on the passenger side). In speaking with Anita she was kind enough to check into it with SuperChip who says it should be like the current SuperDuty cab style, and supplying me with the instructions for them.

However, we all learn something on this sort of job that we'd like to have known beforehand or would do differently next time. So, since I've not yet started, anyone care to share some tips?

Thanks for any help you'd care to offer!

Old 06-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Galaxie,

Please give us a call, as you should have received our supplemental instructions for your specific body style, in *addition* to what the manufacturer provides. We do in fact have installation instructions *specific* to the 1987-1996 previous generation body style (which your 1997 460 uses), and we can fax those over to you immediately if you have access to a fax machine, so please give us a call right away, OK?

UPDATE: I just checked into & spoke with the person who handled this when you called yesterday, and have determined the problem, and why it happened. Your vehicle is a 1997 model, so that individual mistakenly sent you the wrong instructions, not realizing that the 460 in the 1997 model year, which was the last model year for that motor in Ford trucks, was still in the previous body style, and thus requires what we refer to as the 1987-1996 body style documentation (as far as the PCM & installing the Superchip is concerned). I have just personally given that individual a specific lesson about this.

I think the bottom line is that our staffer made the mistake because the 1997 460's are just so rare, and they just didn't snap to the fact that your 1997 body is actually the 1987-1996 style, as far as the PCM location & installation instructions are concerned, & my apologies to you for the inconvenience.

We write additional instructions that go far beyond the rather simple 1-page sheet the manufacturer provides, as we feel that first-time installers need to have better info, such as exactly where the PCM is, the best way to get to it, and all the other little things that make a 1st-time installation go smoothly, with no surprises. We have that for *YOUR* body style no problem, and will be happy to FAX them over to you *immediately*.

Thanks for your understanding!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 06-27-2003 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:20 PM

Thank you Mike for your personal attention. Anita also followed up with me to obtain my fax number and I have the new documentation in hand. She assures me she'll be sending a new invoice as well.

There's always going to be bumps in the road, it's how we handle them and so I appreciate again your great help!

Old 06-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Galaxie,

>>>There's always going to be bumps in the road, it's how we handle them and so I appreciate again your great help!<<<

You're very welcome, to say the least, and we greatly appreciate your understanding!

Glad to hear Anita took care of this for you, & enjoy your new Flip Chip!

Old 06-27-2003, 04:04 PM
aww what a great success story

Quick Reply: Need tips for SuperChip install in *square* body style