More Power And Sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Power And Sound

i would like to hear some reports from anybody that has installed a super chip or one of those programable up graders? is it worth it? also i want to run duel exhausts on my 1997 5.4 f150 any info? i already have the k&n filter on the truck.
I WANT MORE POWER AND A BEEFY SOUND

Old 06-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi jabberwoki,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

Just so you'll know, rather than waiting for people who use the product to come back here and type the same info they have already posted before (some will, and some won't, you know how that goes), you can immediately get tons of the exact info you want by simply spending some time reading these message boards. There are literally years of posts from those who are using the product and who have posted their impressions, results, thoughts, etc. You'll want to make use of the search feature here, as it's your key to instantly accessing all the years of information on whatever topic you want to know about that is posted here. The icon to access it is in the upper right area of your screen here. This is all just FYI, to get you a bit more familiar with how to best get the info you need.....

To get you started with some immediate info as you asked for............

In general, with most computer controlled vehicles, having the powertrain programming optimized is usually the best bang for the buck performance upgrade, and that holds true in these Ford trucks & SUV's as well. Nothing else for the same or less cost will improve the performance of the vehicle as much. However, it is important to realize that just having a performance-oriented powertrain program isn't going to suddenly turn a 2.5+ ton truck into a drag strip terror, that won't happen from just that one change alone of course. Figure you'll drop anywhere from about a half-second to as much as perhaps a full second off your 0-60 & 1/4 mile times, just to give you a rough idea of it's actual effect on raw, foot to the floor performance. Think of the Superchips tuning, in round numbers, as roughly about a 10% power-gainer, and it's there all the time, at any throttle position, at any speed, at any engine rpm, so it's great for anything from normal daily driver & towing uses all the way to the drag strip, for those so inclined. It will also clean up the slow & rather sloppy shift characteristics of the automatic transmissions, reducing slippage & the heat it generates, etc., as well as remove the top speed limiter.

With regard to the exhaust situation, we can help you there as well, we offer numerous options over at our web site, www.TroyerPerformance.com - Click on "Shop" once the home page loads, and then you'll see all the different sections & areas of modification. Our Performance Packages section should be of special interest to you, since you're getting started with your performance improvements. There are everything from Stage 1 all the way to Stage 5 upgrade packages there, as well as chip & intake combo deals. You'll probably be best served by looking at our Stage 1 package for your truck, as that covers the powertrain programming/tuning and opening up both the intake and the exhaust as well, for a nicely rounded upgrade package that delivers solid power & performance gains.

A drop-in K&N air filter is a good start, that will get you about 4 to 5 more HP on the 1997 & 1998 235 HP 5.4 motors. A complete intake kit would get more, such as the Air Force One, which on those 235 hp versions of the 5.4 will add roughly 15 HP. Again, this is just FYI here, you can certainly stick with your drop-in K&N filter.

With regard to the standard question of should you do the chip or the programmer (meaning choosing between the traditional Superchip module or the Superchips Micro Tuner), that's really a matter of price & features, as each will get you roughly the same basic performance gains. If you ever intend to do more involved modifications that would require custom engine tuning (things like changing the MAF, larger fuel injectors, a supercharger, ported cylinder heads, etc.), then you'll want to use the traditional Superchip module. Otherwise, use the Micro Tuner is our recommendation, simply due to it's ease of installation and all it's various features.

You can read all the details about each of those Superchips products in detail over at our web site, in the Superchips section. Take a look at the details on Part#'s 1100 (single program Superchip), 1300 (2-program Dual Octane Superchip Flip Chip) & 1715 (the Micro Tuner).

And of course, please feel free to give us a call to go over anything performance-related about your vehicle, we'll be happy to answer any questions, etc.

You've got a great truck with a lot of potential for better performance, so you have lots of options. I hope this little bit of immediate info helps for now, have fun reading the boards here & don't hesitate to give us a call to go over anything!

Old 06-30-2003, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey mike i did call you last week and i left my ph with a lady there but i did not get a call back? i`d like to talk to you about this
my cell # is 253 2611121 any time from 6am to 6pm pacific time.
thanks steve

Old 07-01-2003, 04:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Steve,

Thanks for calling, & I enjoyed speaking with you this afternoon.

Good luck with everything, & have fun!

Quick Reply: More Power And Sound