Mike, any comment on this?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=121476

Kinda has me worried :o

Old 07-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi '03,

Yes, I have a comment - in a word, BS.

It is *not* true that using a low-restriction exhaust raises exhaust gas temperatures, or cylinder head temperatures, etc. In fact, it does just the *opposite*, it lowers them, if any change at all.

For years we have advised PSD (Powerstoke diesel) owners to open up the intake & exhaust to reduce restriction & let the motor breathe, to help lower EGT's when running performance programs & towing heavy loads, etc. Why? Because doing so *lowers* the EGT's & cylinder head temps.

The claim of reduced flow thru the EGR is false as well, at least when we're talking about normal brand name cat-back exhaust systems, CARB-approved headers, etc., that's absolute horse-hockey. That can only happen if you deliberately alter the **EGR system,** disable it, etc., and that does *not* happen with any cat-back exhaust system or CARB-certified headers that we carry, or that I am personally aware of.

You'll note that one of the things said is that what they're really looking for is to see if the *emissions* systems have been tampered with, and *that* is the key. It has nothing to do with a proper cat-back low-restriction exhaust system, or even headers that are properly designed, *none* of those components (at least, among quality manufacturers and including *all* the parts we carry) modifies the EGR system.

Old 07-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As always Mike, your knowledge surpasses mine greatly and it shows

Good post, and thanks for the explanation.

Old 07-12-2003, 08:13 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ford is looking for a scapegoat for their head problems. The engineers are lost as to what is causing it. Funny that you can soupe the crap out of a ricer with aluminum heads and cast block and their heads don't leak.

Quick Reply: Mike, comment?