G-Tech Performance Meter

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-Tech Performance Meter

Ive been really considering getting a G-Tech performance meter. Ive heard they are really accurate on everything except rear HP. But things like 1/4 miles ETs, 0-60 times, 60-0 distance, lateral Gs, i would like to know. I was wondering if anybody has one of these units, or knows anything about them. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

With my truck, i know that a regular cab short bed 4.2 V6 weighs 3850lbs, but since i have the 4.6V8, would my weight be closer to 3900lbs? The unit needs the vehicle weight to measure most of this stuff. Thanks!

- Rick -

Old 07-22-2003, 07:22 PM
mine weighs 4600.......go to a truck scale station....

Old 07-23-2003, 12:46 AM
How do you figure 4600lbs for a regular cab flareside? Of course you got the hard bed cover, all the subs and shizzle. I know at cars.com i think it was, they said a regular cab, styleside, 4.2L, XLT; 3850lbs.... Thats basically my truck only I have a 4.6L.

Now could it be that much different?

- Rick -

Old 07-23-2003, 01:45 PM
3850lbs?

Please!

A lightning is a regular cab, short bed, and weighs 4670lbs.

Old 07-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Rick,

You're right, the newer G-Tech Pro Competition model will give you pretty accurate acceleration times (but I wouldn't count on the HP numbers), and it's a great unit for it's cost, I highly recommend it.

I have one myself, and we sell them as well (they aren't on our web site yet, so call us for those). I think it's a *great* unit and the absolute best inexpensive way for people to see, anytime, anywhere, just what their modifications actually did for the performance of their vehicle. This works *far* better than just relying on seat of the pants guessing, and is much more convenient than going to the drag strip, you can use this unit anywhere. Also, forget the old G-Tech Pro unit, the original one, they're a pain to level and don't work nearly as well. Get the newer "Competition" model, as you don't have to mess with leveling it and it's much more accurate, just stick it on the windshield, plug it into the cigarette lighter & go!

With regard to your truck's weight, there isn't any F-150 made from 1997 on up that actually weighs less than 4000 lbs. (well, maybe a complete "stripper" with no carpet, manual tranny, *no* options, no A/C, no fluids, no fuel & no driver), and most weigh over 5000 lbs. You can count on that vehicle weighing probably about 4800 lbs., and even more with a driver & fuel on board. Forget those "curb" weights by the way, which is all you see on vehicle registration or in manufacturer's data, they do not reflect what the vehicle actually weighs with fluids & fuel. They also may not reflect the exact level of equipment on each different vehicle. Got the Towing package? Weighs more, but you'll never see that reflected in curb weights. Got the heavy duty cooling package, or heavy duty shocks, or the Offroad or FX4 package, etc? Weighs a lot more, and many times is not reflected in curb weight specs. And don't attempt to compare Styleside to Flareside, etc., 6 cylinder to 8 cylinder, use the correct and exact body configuration and powertrain and equipment level & options, otherwise it's virtually meaningless. There is about 3000 lbs. of weight difference between the lightest & the heaviest F-150 configurations.

By the way, the *only* thing the G-Tech Pro needs the vehicle weight for is to "calculate" it's estimate of power level. Weight is *NOT* needed for measuring any acceleration times, 0-60, 1/4 mile, braking distances, side-forces (G-loading, cornering force), etc.

At any rate, thinking about a G-Tech Pro Competition model is an *excellent* idea, and I highly recommend it.

Quick Reply: G-Tech Performance Meter