Mike:Hemi Superchip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike:Hemi Superchip?

Hey Mike,
It's been a while since I have been around, and I have a question for you.I picked up a Dodge quad cab hemi yesterday and was wondering if Superchip makes chips for Dodge? If so,is one available for the Hemi?
Sorry about posting a Dodge question on a Ford message board but I am not sure of other sources for Superchips.

Old 07-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to see you again, it has been awhile!

Currently, we have Micro Tuner applications for the 98-03 3.9 V6, 5.2 & 5.9 V8 gasoline engines.

The 4.7 and the 5.7 HEMI are being worked on, it's still going to be a little while on those, so unfortunately, we can't help you today with that application. I'd say check back with us in a couple of months.

Thanks for stopping by & keep in touch!

Old 07-28-2003, 01:16 PM
Mike,

Kindly take your time on ANY Superchip improvments on those Hemis. We've got our hands full here already.

EB

Old 07-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi EB,

Nice to see you again, it's been awhile!

I wouldn't worry too much about the new HEMI's, most of them are so heavy they aren't very quick anyway. Most we see aren't in the lighter 1/2 ton 1500 series, most are in the 2500's, etc.. Even in the 1500 series, they aren't setting the world on fire with their performance (low to mid 15's for the most part, though as soon as I say that some irate 12-second HEMI owner will drop by!), though in time that will change as more aftermarket parts become available for them at this point. We all know the HEMI certainly has plenty of potential.

Don't worry, we can take any Ford to any level of performance to beat the new HEMI's if need be. We've got normally aspirated F-150's like Neal's capable of running in the 13's with no blower, no ported heads, etc., just bolt-ons, sweat equity & good tuning.

And the Lightnings? Heck, we've got many of them running in the 11's, and a number in the 10's. There's one in South Carolina running 11.44 with the stock Eaton M112 supercharger (just a pulley), NO NITROUS, no ported heads, no gear change, completely STOCK fuel system, etc. It's running those mid-11 second times without the benefit of 2 additional mods my truck has that his doesn't, and is having no problems consistently running in the mid-11's, day in & day out. A *bad* day for that truck is 11.80's, and it's all done with exterior bolt-ons.
That truck is about to go deep into the 10's here very shortly, as he just contacted me today to take it into the 10's.

So don't worry, we can take your truck to any level of performance needed, you know what they say, "it's only money!"

Stay in touch & good luck with your truck!

Old 07-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Mike,

Actually I wasn't all that worried about those Hemis. After all, I am packing a little heat of my own -- Troyer style!

Just to let you know the Walbro pump, 24# injectors, AF1, Pro-M, JBA headers, and Charlie's excellent tuning are all installed on my '98. The next time you talk to Charlie, thank him for his fine job.

Anita gave me the news today about the Hurst shifter delayed rollout.

By the way, that 4.6 of mine is running good (maybe too good) at 80+. There is certainly room for triple digits. Do you have a recommendation or comment on tires or am I ok for occasional quick shots to 90 and back down to real world speeds with my Firestone Wilderness tires?

Last edited by Peddler1000; 07-30-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Peddler,

>>>Actually I wasn't all that worried about those Hemis. After all, I am packing a little heat of my own -- Troyer style! <<<

Yes indeed, you sure are! They'll run very nice once they're getting fed enough fuel & have a sharp state of tune on them.

Believe it or not, the Firestone Wilderness tires we've had have never given us a problem, and one set in particular saw *many* sustained 115 mph cruises, with occasional blasts up to 129 mph (this was on an Explorer we had a few years ago).

Doing a quick blast up to 90 mph & then right back down, you really don't need anything special tire-wise for that kind of use. Just make *sure* when using the Firestone Wilderness AT's that they are rotated, balanced, and have no failed or separated belts inside (seen as slight bulges in the sidewall and/or tread areas.

Most of those Firestone tires are fine, there are only a relative few with the potentially catastrophic failure potential. So for me, I would not run those Firestone's at all, and it's sad, as most of them are OK, but you never know when you get a bad one, unless it exhibits obvious signs, such as bulges indicated broken or separated belts, etc. The real failure problem is total tread separation, for the most part.

Wear those tires out at lower speeds & then replace them with some better tires from the Tire Rack. Read the various reviews on the size of tire you need there, some like the Bridgestone Duelers, which are priced right, and some will pay more to get a higher speed rating, there are LT tires that go up to 130 mph for their speed ratings, they just cost more.

I'd suggest spending some time reading the reviews on all the various tires of the same size you need before making a decision. Some of the reviews are an obvious waste of time, but many are *very* good & informative.

Personally, I'm partial to Michelin, as it's almost impossible to get a "bad" Michelin. Yoko's are dong a nice job as well, but of course it all depends on if you want a true Light Truck tire, a snow tire, an Offroad- capable tire, or just a normal "highway" tire.

Trust the good people at the Tire Rack to properly advise you on this, they know *way* more than I do, and they're honest.

By the way, Hurst's problem with the new shifters is minor, it's just silly things like cab placement on the frame varying when these trucks are built by Ford, causing occasional silliness like the shifter running into a cup holder, or the dash, etc. This happens rarely, but Hurst wants to allow for even those oddball vehicles, so it won't be too terribly much longer before everyone can enjoy them.

Good luck. & glad to hear that truck is running strong!

Quick Reply: Mike:Hemi Superchip?