Crankcase Breather

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Crankcase Breather

MIKE
Am i to understand the 2003 lightning don't need the crankcase breather i have the 6# pulley chip k&n air filter no oil that i can see in throttle body anywhere thanks

Old 08-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi tlf,

Well, there are some different aspects to the 2003 Lightnings, for example, we rarely need to do a boost bypass kit on them like we do on the 99-02 L's, but I'd still run a breather cap.

I feel that all the supercharged 5.4's need to be running a breather cap, not just to reduce oil being brought up into the throttle body under hard deceleration, but more importantly to vent the crankcase pressure. The PCV system is not very well done in these vehicles to begin with (though it's a bit better in '03), as even the normally aspirated F-150's tend to bring oil up into the throttle body.

Any supercharged engine will build significantly more crankcase pressure (from blowby past the rings, etc.) as compared to a normally aspirated motor (all else being equal), and that pressure needs to be vented to prevent causing other problems that are too involved to cover here. And when you increase boost levels with a 6 PSI pulley as you have, you *REALLY* increase that crankcase pressure rather drastically, so anyone running a pulley to increase boost should also be running a breather cap, IMHO, regardless of how much or how little oil is being seen in the throttle body.

Now the 2003 Lightnings have some different aspects to their tuning & configuration as compared to the '99-'02 L's, for example, when you run the breather cap on the 2003's you do not need to change the tuning, as they don't go lean at idle & light load like the 1999-2002 Lightnings will when a breather cap is installed. I can't tell you why, but that's what we saw in our R&D, clear as day. We thoroughly tested for that during our 2003 Lightning tuning R&D sessions, and were surprised to see that the breather cap made *no* difference in A/F ratios on the wideband O2 in any mechanical configuration ranging from bone stock to over 500+ HP, at any throttle position or rpm. Odd, but that's what we found.

A breather cap is dirt cheap, I'd recommend using it.

Old 08-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Thumbs up IMPORTANT SUBJECT

THANKS AGAIN MIKE
For your valued knowledge on these famous lightnings. I am very much interested in taking care of mine she is sitting in my air condition and heated garage right now TOM better known as the boss hog/

Old 08-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Tom,

Sounds like your Lightning is getting pampered pretty well in an air conditioned garage.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:21 PM
Hey Mike,

Will that statement of no tuning needed for the 03 Lightning with a breather cap be the same for an 03 harley?

Old 08-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi ecm,

Good to see you! Actually, I've been trying to return your calls, but I always seem to catch you in bed with your schedule, sorry about that! I know we need to go over a few things & that you had some questions, etc.

Yes, that's the same with the Harley for 2003, we haven't seen any leaning of the A/F's during no-load & light load conditions. The only difference is pulley size & the airbox, otherwise the supercharged 5.4 is basically the same for both Lightning & Harley.

Now in your case, you have a fully built motor, the ported heads, etc., so you've got quite the combination going on there. I would certainly check the A/F's on your present tune, and while you're on the dyno doing that, you can easily double-check for breather cap effect by removing the breather cap and looking at the A/F's. Do it at idle, at 1500 rpm cruise in 3rd, at 2000 rpm and then again at 2500 rpm, it's quick & easy to do a back-to-back on that. We found no real difference on the '03 in those conditions.

Hope all is well & talk to you soon!

Old 08-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Hey Mike,

Yeah we have been playing tag as of late.....No worries though.. Thanks for the reply. With the boost I am running I want to let the case breath some...I will check the a/f ratios soon. I will be putting a wide Band on the truck in a few weeks. Had a few other issues other than what we discussed come up but will be all completed this weekend...Finally!

Old 08-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi ecm,

Understood, & I look forward to talking with you!

Quick Reply: Crankcase Breather