superchips problem help!!!Mike T maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
superchips problem help!!!Mike T maybe??

my truck went into a no-start problem with the following symptoms:

theft light came on and then flashed rapidly
check engine light would not go out
would crank but no start
fuel pump relay chattering

after replacing the fuel pump relay, key reader, and checking for engine codes the truck still would not start.

after removing the superchip, all symptoms went away and truck started.

I reinstalled the chip, reset the computer, and it went back to a no-start.

then back to running after removing again.
has anyone experienced this?
what kind of warranty does superchips have on this type of stuff?

Old 08-03-2003, 09:44 PM
First, did you read all the instructions which came with the Superchip? Second, are you positive that all the contacts are nice and clean prior to installing the chip into the CPU, if you do not remove all the varnish in the contacts on the CPU prior to installing the Superchip you will have problems with it making a good connection and then anything could happen.

Since you do not have a problem with the chip removed I would first insure the contacts are clean. From my understanding the instruction book provided by Superchips is pretty good about explaining the process in how to clean them.

Good luck...

Old 08-04-2003, 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi rolnlow,

I'm sorry, but it's against the rules for vendors to provide Tech Support here. In addition to which, that just cannot be done via the written word anyway, as it takes far too long to type out all the possibilities & exactly how to correct each one. So this won't be solved here I'm afraid, you need to call your vendor for help.

This could be anything from a bad Superchip (rare, but can happen once in awhile) to improper installation (most common, not cleaning the connector properly, not taping the module in place, etc.), to the vehicle having had it's PCM reflashed and is now a different computer code (meaning the chip would have to be reprogrammed), to the jumper issue in a few of the '99's (correctable by closing the jumpers), etc. Only proper troubleshooting is going to identify the actual problem so you to solve this. In any such situation, don't worry, as this can always be solved, you just may have to do a few steps.

So right now you need to do 1 thing - Call whoever you purchased your Superchip from immediately for help, and do that BEFORE attempting to put it back in again - don't try guessing at this, don't put it back in, just call your vendor and get the Tech Support you need.

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2003, 08:22 PM
yea I cleaned the contacts again , the chip has been in for about a year, every time I reset trhe computer, it will work for a short while then either not start or kill the truck while I'm driving, and it does this randomly.

p.s. the people at Troyer are most cool about helping me out, but by the time I get to the truck they are closed.

Old 08-04-2003, 08:24 PM
oops missed your post there mike. I called you all today, I didnt know about the "cant give tech support here" so I'll call ya again tommorow, thanks though

Old 08-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi rolnlow,

OK, it sounds like you picked it up from us, I'm guessing from your last couple of posts.

Don't worry if it's after hours, as we have 24 hr. voicemail so you can leave us a message for Tech Support, and we'll return the call. I don't know what your schedule is like, but if need be, we can even talk over the weekend about this when we're closed, as we always return Tech Support calls over the weekend anyway. We should be able to find a way to communicate when our mutual schedules permit.

From your last posts, it sounds like that Superchip has been in your vehicle for about a year, and then it started acting up.

Usually in that situation it's just a simple matter of removing the chip & re-seating it (as happens when it's not taped in place properly to guard against hitting potholes, rough railroad tracks, etc.). If you have already done that and that isn't helping, we may need to take a look at that chip & see just what's what, for example, if it's failed, then it needs to be replaced. I'm assuming the vehicle has not been in for service lately and had it's PCM reflashed, as that would cause the same symptoms. If the vehicle has been in for service recently, most likely the PCM was reflashed to a different code, which we'll need to have so we can reprogram the Superchip to once again match the PCM's code.

Please do give us a shout whenever you can so we can take care of this for you. We want you to be able to enjoy your Superchip without problems, & we'll help you take care of this ASAP.

Quick Reply: superchips problem help!!!Mike T maybe??