Tuner Question... REV LIMIT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner Question... REV LIMIT?

I got the hypertech programmer and I was wondering how much I should up the rev limiter to as well as the coresponding shift points? What is the best amout? For that matter, what is it set at stock? Thanks.

~Colby

Old 08-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi bullitt,

We do not advise raising the rev limiter by more than 300 rpm, or a WOT upshift point beyond about 5400 rpm. The factory tachs aren't extremely accurate, by the way. We generally advise having the rev limiter set 300 rpm above the WOT (wide-open throttle) shift point, I.E., if the shift point is at 5400 rpm, then set the rev limiter at 5700 rpm so you don't bounce off the rev limiter.

The WOT upshift points should already be optimized, so I'd take the defaults and drive it like that for at least a month, so you know where they actually are before deciding that they need "fixing."

You can always experiment by doing timed acceleration tunes, and set the shift points so that the vehicle accelerates the quickest. In general, the lighter trucks can use higher shift points than the heavier trucks can, no sense in making a motor strain to get another 200 rpm when it will accelerate quicker by going into the next gear and getting back into the torque curve.

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Doing that now.

~Colby

Quick Reply: Tuner Question... REV LIMIT?