Can i still use 87 octane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i still use 87 octane?

I'm looking at getting a superchip for my 97 F-150. I have 4x4 Off-road package, 33x12.50 mudterrains, K&N, flowmaster, 4.6 liter, and manual transmission. (which i would take any day over a slushbox). My friends told me i would boost my performance and get better gas mileage with a chip so i deicided i would look into it. I want to stay with 87 octane gas since I'm an everyday driver and want to stay with the cheapness of 87 octane. I looked at Mr. Troyer's website and it says I have to use 91-94 octane gas. Is there a way i can get a chip that will let me stay at 87 octane?

Old 08-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 4x4,

Normally you have to use only premium gas just as you read about on our web site, but we can custom make a Superchip for you that will enable you to still use 87 octane gas.

Keep in mind that you won't get nearly as much power gain as you would with our normal performance tuning for premium. You'll see about 5-8 HP gain on our 87 octane program, and I wouldn't count on any real gain in fuel mileage on 87 octane.

MPG gains usually happen only with our performance tuning for premium gasoline, as there we can use enough spark advance on part-throttle to effect some increase in engine efficiency, & thus pick up some mpg when heavy throttle is not being used.

What you might want to do is to order the new 1715 Superchips Micro Tuner from us, as it has *3* different performance programs - one for 87 octane that you can tow with, another for premium gas you can tow with, and then finally, our "max" performance program that requires premium gas that is *not* towing-compatible. This new unit should be shipping within approximately the next week to 10 days or so. Having those 3 different programs for both levels of octane is just the ticket for someone in your situation.

The bottom line is yes, we do have a couple of options available to you for use on 87 octane, just give us a call at your convenience & we can go over the details with you.

Old 08-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you tell me if I spend the extra $5 a tank for the premium gas, and get the "regular" chip will i see enough increase in MPG to save money in the end on gas?

Old 08-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 4x4,

No, that just isn't going to happen, my friend - nor should that ever be expected by anyone, or used as a rationalization for purchasing a performance chip, just as general info to anyone reading this post.

Generally speaking, there are no situations that are going to allow you to move up to premium fuel (with the normal average cost delta of 20 cents per gallon) yet cause you to also spend *less* money for gasoline at the same time, while driving the same number of miles - that's not going to happen with a gasoline engine. If I could do that for everyone, I would probably be a multi-millionaire in short order, I wish I could.

Now in our Powerstroke diesel applications that kind of thing actually *does* happen, where they actually end up spending less money for fuel with the Superchips tuning, but you won't see that in a gasoline engine.

You'll see some improvement in MPG from the Superchips tuning as long as you keep your foot out of the throttle, so to speak, and are using good quality fuel - but it's not going to be enough gain to offset the entire 20 cent per gallon (average) cost delta between regular and premium.

Most people driving 15K-20K miles per year average spending about $50-$100 more year on gas with the Superchip, & that's nothing for anyone that can afford one of these trucks. Even in a worst-case scenario, the maximum additional fuel cost to run on premium all the time with the Superchips tuning is about $100 per 10,000 miles driven - still a pretty small amount.

Right now gas prices overall have just spiked back up a bit, and *that* is really what has people concerned again about gas prices, as even regular now costs more - they'll come back down again as usual. It never ends, it's been that way since at least the 70's.

Quick Reply: Can i still use 87 octane?