May I ask for some help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question May I ask for some help?

Good day,

I come making my first post a plea for help. I have my first Ford product, a 1994 Ford F-150 Supercap with a rebuilted 302 with the "U" AOD tans.

I am looking for reasonable manners to increase the mpg and a little low end power. I use this truck to tow an older camper in the east coast mtns.

From my research, I see that the Superchip 1100 is the right chip for me. But it also leaves me a cpl questions.

1) What can I add to my engine to increase mpg and still add a superchip after?

2) What can I add, with reasonable cost to increase my hp? (adding the superchip after)

3) Last but not least by any manner.. The engine was re-built, but all I can get from the Mom and Pop shop (they did the work for the shop that I got the truck from) was that they did a complete rebuild. (bore out and all that). Will this cause any problems with a "stock" Superchip?

Thank you,

thehardestroad...

Old 09-12-2003, 09:17 PM
I'm thinking a GOOD electric fan ! Free's up some ponies ,and better gas milage to boot! Providing you have a good tranny cooler too.

Old 09-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Forgot about the fan...

Thanks for the remind about a Elec. Fan. Forgot about that one... if what I read about the undersized pully is correct, a fan and pully would be a reasonable start to get a little more from the engine.

Old 09-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi THR,

Brotherdave's suggestion of an electric fan kit is an excellent idea - we offer a dual 14" unit that will do the trick. Converting to electric fans in that truck will get you about 13-17 more HP at the rear wheels, and will help fuel mileage a bit too.

Underdrive pulleys are also an excellent idea, as they too, will give you power gains by reducing parasitic losses.

You can take a look at those products over on our web site, at www.TroyerPerformance.com - click on "Shop" once the home page loads, and then you can see all the individual parts sections, such as Electric Fans & Auxiliary Coolers, then the Pulleys section, etc.

The types of mods you can do and still use the "standard" Superchips tuning in your vehicle are things like an intake kit, cat-back exhaust system, larger throttle body, electric fans, underdrive pulleys - and the Superchip, just to give you a rough idea. So there's plenty you can do.

Sounds like they just did a standard rebuild on your engine, so in terms of tuning, what parts you can use, etc. - all of that should still be the same as before.

Best of luck with your truck!

Old 09-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Gee .....Thanks Mike...?

Old 09-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Thanks Mike...

Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to address my questions on the Superchip issues.

After reading your site and other threads, the issue of the re-build had me a little worried. It is nice to have facts, and not worries.

Also, after reading many upon many posts, it also is nice to see that many members here, have total trust in you and your company. Having worked for Eastern Off Road, Pep Boys, Ketstone and Goodyear many moons ago, one learns that is a very good measure of one's honest dealings.

I look forward to dealing with you and your company in the future...

James

Old 09-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by ROUSHFAN-1
Gee .....Thanks Mike...?
Must have been a busy day for Mike, thank you for your recommendation, it was top notch...

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Yeah he must have been in a rush...I thought it was kinda funny....heh..heh..The amount he responds on this board amazes me ..truthfully ..And I never see a damn misprint ! I think he uses that Troyer black magic,much like his subliminal messages over the phone ......heh..heh

Old 09-15-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by ROUSHFAN-1
Yeah he must have been in a rush...I thought it was kinda funny....heh..heh..The amount he responds on this board amazes me ..truthfully ..And I never see a damn misprint ! I think he uses that Troyer black magic,much like his subliminal messages over the phone ......heh..heh
I agree, he has a lot of post that are not simple one or two liners. Most are like mini stories packed full of information. I enjoy reading them because I have learned many things from them.

He sounds like a real busy guy and I have no idea where he finds all the time to write such informational post. He must have a Superchip implanted somewhere. Must type like 200 words a minute…

Old 09-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Roushfan,

Say, can you help me find the dungeon for dummies? You see, I've reserved it for myself after my gaff in thinking you were "Brotherdave" in my earlier response (I must have been confused with another thread, sorry!), but I can't *find* the darn dungeon to report for imprisonment to atone for my sin!

Sorry 'bout that, & thanks for your help, as always!

Old 09-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi James,

Sounds like you've been around in the industry!

Pep Boys used to be one of my favorites (Manny, Moe & Jack, who could forget?), they've been around forever. We know Keystone of course, though we don't use them due to our volumes. Goodyear is a household name, you've definitely been with some industry heavyweights!

Glad to hear you've taken a good bit of time to read many of the posts here - there's such a wealth of information here!

I look forward to speaking with you in the future, & best of luck!

Old 09-16-2003, 07:20 PM
No sweat Mike it was funny..Finnaly made me laugh insted of think from a post of your's........Keep up the GREAT HELP !

Old 09-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Former Sponsor
And right about now we could use a lot more laughter than hard thinking - it was only pure luck that my post got a laugh instead of some other bodily function!

Thanks big guy,