Microtuner and OBDII

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microtuner and OBDII

Can the Microtuner read not just your own vehicle's codes but others as well? In other words can the Microtuner work as a stand alone OBDII reader?

Old 09-19-2003, 08:57 PM
Have you looked on Mikes website? www.troyerperformance.com
Pretty sure you can use it on other vehicles..But not the new program....

Last edited by ROUSHFAN-1; 09-19-2003 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:08 AM
"Can the Microtuner read not just your own vehicle's codes but others as well? In other words can the Microtuner work as a stand alone OBDII reader?"

DXprowler,

The short answer to your question is yes. I assume your thinking of the 1715 for your F-150.

The 1715 will act as a stand alone OBD-II scanner for all Ford vehicles. But only Ford vehicles. Also,you cannot install Superchips "power" program in more than one vehicle (it will "lock-on" to the VIN of the first vehicle you program).

Don't hook it up to a Dodge or a Chebby! (for any purpose) You may damage its ECU. Believe it or not, this could result in them running even worse!

Good Luck,

Bill

Old 09-22-2003, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi DX,

The others have given you some good responses & the basic answer you needed already, I'm just dropping by to confirm.............

Yes, you can use the Superchips #1705 (Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel), #1715 (Ford V8 & V10 gas engine trucks & SUV's) or #1725 (Ford cars with 4.6 engines) Micro Tuners as stand-alone OBD-II DTC scanners in just about any 1996 thru 2003 FoMoCo vehicle.

However, as Bill mentioned, DO NOT try plugging a Micro Tuner for a Ford into a non-FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company) vehicle to scan for DTC's, so don't try using them in a GM or Mopar vehicle. And vice-versa, don't take any of our GM or Mopar Micro Tuners & plug then into a Ford to read the DTC's.

If you'd like to go over any of this or anything else performance-related about your truck in more detail, please feel free to give us a call at our number listed below.

Good luck & have fun!

Old 09-22-2003, 10:37 PM
Question

is what WMcNalley said true - about using the Microtuner on more than one vehicle?

So does that mean that if I buy one of the used ones that I have seen for sale, it won't work? And if I want to add some zip to my '03 f150 and the wife's '02 Expedition I will have to buy 2 tuners and remember which one goes with which rig?

I guess I should get this clarified before I start spending money...

Thanks for your help!

Allen

Old 09-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Once you use the programmer to load your vehicle's computer then the programmer is 'locked' to that vehicle. It will stay that way until the stock program is programmed back into the computer. Once that happens then the programmer can be used in a different truck.

If you were to buy a used one then you need to be SURE that the programmer has replaced the stock program in the seller's vehicle.

However you can use it to read trouble codes even after it is VIN locked.

Got mine delivered last night and there wasn't time to try it out so I read the instruction book cover to cover twice. I'm dying to get home after work and try it out.

Russ

Old 09-23-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the comformation Mike and the responce from others. My queastions have been answered!

Last edited by DXprowler; 09-23-2003 at 07:05 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Allen & others,

You can use the Superchips tuning in the Micro Tuner on *1* vehicle at a time - there isn't room for storing numerous stock factory programs to enable the unit to be used on numerous vehicles at the same time. You're stock factory program has to be stored inside the Micro Tuner in order to allow the return to stock.

So that means no, you can't use one Micro Tuner to tune multiple different vehicles at the same time - each vehicle is a separate vehicle, so accordingly, you need a Micro Tuner for each one - unless you want to *share* one unit between both vehicles, which is allowed - you can return one vehicle back to stock and then go use the Micro Tuner to tune the other vehicle, as long as it's a vehicle that is supported by the same model of Micro Tuner. We have a number of customers who do just that, using their one Micro Tuner in their Lightning in the summer, and then in their 4x4 F-150 in the winter, for example - something like that you can certainly do with just one Micro Tuner, no problem!

And as others mentioned, even after you've used the Micro Tuner to tune one vehicle, you can still use it as an OBD-II code scanner in any other FoMoCo OBD-II vehicle - making it a pretty handy device.

I hope this answers your questions, & if you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call, we'll be happy to help.

Old 09-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Almost forgot, one other queastion!

I have an '03 F-150 5.4L 4x4 with the 7700 payload package which includes the 4R100 transmission. Since the microtuner adjusts shift points and line pressure, will the 1715 work with this transmission?

I would imagine the computer would tell the microtuner what transmission setting to use, so-to-speak. I've probably answered my own queastion but would like conformation. Mike???

Old 09-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi DX,

That is, to me, the single neatest aspect of the "MAX" series of Superchips Micro Tuners - when you connect the unit, it goes out and does a *read* of your vehicle's PCM code - and then does an internal lookup to find which one of the almost 4000 different programs inside that Micro Tuner *matches* your vehicle. And that takes into consideration the fact of whether it's a 4R70W, or a 4R100, etc. - that is already taken into consideration in the *factory* program that F-150's with 4R100's (rare) get - so the Superchips tune you will get already takes all of that into consideration, is the best way to explain it.

Because the Micro Tuner will change the PCM program in each individual vehicle *only* if it finds the correct code-matched Superchips performance program in the Micro Tuner for that *specific* vehicle, it can't make a mistake in that regard. If it does not have the correct matching program, the unit will tell you on it's LCD screen to "Call Superchips" - indicating your code is one that it does not yet have. And even then it's cool, as it will store a *copy* of your program inside, so your vehicle will still run and the Micro Tuner will also have a copy so it can be sent in to Superchips for the update to have that new code included. Very few people will ever need to do that, but that capability is also built into the Micro Tuner just in case someone gets a new reflash during service at a dealership for example, to a program that is so new we don't have it yet.

Also, from a command/code standpoint, it really doesn't matter that it's a 4R100, as either tranny gets & executes it's instructions in the same basic way - so things like shift duration, line pressures, shift points, etc. - vary those same basic parameters for each of the 2 different automatics.

The bottom line is, you'll be fine with the 7700 lb. package and it's 4R100 tranny with the 1715 Micro Tuner - no problem!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 09-24-2003 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks Mike!

Bill

Old 09-25-2003, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor
!

Hi Bill,

You're very welcome, of course!

Old 09-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Micro Tuner question?

This one is for Mike, or I suppose anyone with the answer. Question is lets say I installed a program in my 02 Supercrew and about 2 years from now I get a wild hare up my, well you know. Anyway, I stop at some dealer and drive out with a new truck. But oops, I forgot to swap the programs back to the original codes. Now I have a Micro tuner and I want to load into to my new truck or even my other F150 work truck. What happens? Can this MicroTuner be sent back to the manufacturer and be reprogrammed? I mean, I have made an honest mistake, must I know buy an entirely new MicroTuner?

Old 09-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi tuckr2,

No, you wouldn't have to buy another new Micro Tuner in that scenario, but you *would* have to send the unit in and pay a significant fee to have it reinitialized so that it was usable once again.

So you could expect to have to pay a fee to the manufacturer to reinitialize the unit for use again, basically.

Quick Reply: Microtuner and OBDII