Getting the Chip Reprogrammed..pssst Mike!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Getting the Chip Reprogrammed..pssst Mike!

I've had my chip for about 3 years now and installed it when my truck was stock. Since then, I've done Intake, Headers, FM Exhaust, and 4.56 L/S Gears. I didn't know until now that the chip had to be reporgrammed to adjust these mods and I was wondering what improvements the reprogramming the chip was gonna give me.

Talked to Anita over at PTroyers and she kinda explained it to me - but I wanted to ask some of you if you've done the reprogramming on your chip and what improvements you've gotten on it? Worth the $125? I'm all for spending money on my ride - not pinching pennies over here - but I would probably use those $125 for a pulley or something instead.

Also I was probably going to be adding an Electric Fan Kit in the next week...should I wait to send my chip after the install of the fan?

Old 10-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Be careful with the pully's and the 35's it's not recomended with the big tires, i was looking at the same thing for my truck but they say it could be harder to turn into tight spots with the pully's but if you do end up doing them please let me know how they help..

Michael

99 Ford F-150 XLT 4.6L V8
6" RCD Lift on 35" BFG A/T's
4:56 Gears, Bullet Exhaust,
K&N Generation 2 filter Charger
Tenative owner of Super Chips 1715 Controller

Old 10-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi F150Y2K,

Nice to see you again!

Well, you do need custom tuning to correct the speedometer from the gear ratio change (and tire size change I'm assuming) in any 1999 & newer truck - and we can pick up a few more ponies in most cases by tuning for those headers, too.

It's against the rules here to discuss specific pricing - but it's not a matter of "if it's worth it" - it's a matter of needing to have a correct speedometer and odometer, both of which are required by law - more importantly, so you know just what speed you're actually going & how far the vehicle has traveled. I can't imagine running around with a speedo off, that would drive me nuts. Another issue is for models with automatic transmissions, the shift points are off if the speedo is off, and correcting the speedo corrects the shift points, too.

No, we do not need to do any changes to the tuning from installing electric fans, so you can do that at any time and not need any tuning changes.

Now one thing that Michael mentioned in his response about the use of underdrive pulleys is that *if* you need to do frequent parallel parking and you have 35" or taller tires, you might need a little bit more power steering assist than what you would have with the underdrive pulleys.

You can use underdrive pulleys with 35" tires, but it's just that if you need to do frequent parallel parking, then in *that* scenario we sometimes find that more power steering boost is needed. As long as you don't have to parallel park at work everyday, then you're fine even with 35" tires and the underdrive pulleys.

We explain all that on our web site, in the Pulleys - underdrive pulleys section, so you can drop by and take a look at that if you like.

Good luck & don't hesitate to call me if you'd like to go over this in more detail, etc.

Nice seeing you again!

Old 10-03-2003, 05:38 PM
SOLD!

Cool, I'm sending it to you on Monday Morning.

Glad I don't have to wait until I install my fan kit.

Hope I notice a power increase. (Reason I'm doing it)

My MPH is not off by much. It only seems that after 50mph+ I'm registering an extra 5mph. For example if my speedo says 75mph, I'm doing 70mph. Kinda got used to it already

Old 10-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi F150Y2K,

Sounds fine - you'll want to give us a call so we can assign you an RMA number to send that chip back in to us for the program changes you need, that's how we track everything around here, thru RMA's - so please do call before just sending it out, OK? And remember to send it so that it is insured for full replacement value, and so that it's trackable.

Sounds like you have 35" tires along with those 4.56 gears - in which case, the speedo wouldn't be WAY off (like 15 mph), but would be off enough to need correction.

One thing to remember about speedo errors is that they are percentage-based errors - for example, let's say the speedo is off so that it's registering 75 mph when you're really doing only 70 mph - that is a 7.14% error, so it would be 7.14 mph off at 100 mph, and 3.57 mph off at 50 mph - and it would be only 2 mph off @ 30 mph - and so on, they are straight linear percentage-based errors, always. So the faster you go, the further off the speedometer is, which is why it seems like it's "OK" at lower speeds - it's still off by the same amount in terms of a *percentage*, but it's not much at lower speeds.

Hope I didn't confuse you with all that, & talk to you soon!

Quick Reply: Getting the Chip Reprogrammed..pssst Mike!