Micro Tuner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Micro Tuner Questions

I've got two basic questions.
1. Is the micro tuner available for the 4.2L
2. What is the expected effect on horsepower and torque for each of the 3 programs. Does the 87 octane program do much?

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Bob,

1.) Not at this time - we think it may be added sometime in the not too distant future, but that's not known for sure - Superchips asked us for our recommendation, asking us if they should add the 4.2 V6 F-150 or add both the 3.0 & 4.0 Rangers - adding the Rangers would probably help sales more, but we've recommended the 4.2 V6 F-150 be added instead. Only time will tell, as the unit was just updated to almost 4000 programs thanks to denser memory chips coming available, and that is what allowed Superchips to make it a multi-program unit. that was just done, and they are now working on which vehicles or engines to add to it next, when the next upgrade is made.

2.) On the 87 octane program, about 5-8 HP - the power gains on the other 2 programs will vary a bit depending on how much octane is used, 91, 92, 93 or 94 octane - but in round numbers, think of it as roughly about a 10% power gain. The premium gas max performance program, which you cannot tow with, in the 4.2 V6 has about 7-8 more hp at the wheels than the premium gas tow-safe program does.

Even on the 87 octane program, performance is improved - the 4.2 V6 is very weak below 2500 rpm, and that characteristic is noticeably improved even with the 87y octane program. Also, the transitional delays & retards are vastly improved, and if it's an automatic, the shift characteristics are also improved.

If it were me, I'd want to run on the most powerful program with the most octane, as that is how maximum power, performance and fuel mileage are all achieved. It costs very little in terms of *additional* gasoline cost to use the premium gas tuning - most people driving 15K-20K miles per year don't spend much more than about $100 or so per year additional for gas, as the added mpg offsets some of the 20 cent per gallon cost delta between 87 & premium. This will depend somewhat on how you drive, of course, but as long as you keep your foot out of the firewall and use good quality premium gas, the mpg generally comes up - especially when cruising.

For now, the traditional Superchip module is what you'll need to use for that 4.2 V6 at this time, and that is available in a 2-program version so you can have say, a dual octane capability, or have a tow-safe & then a max-performance type of combination.

If you;d like to go over the traditional Superchip module & programs available, etc. and the various options in more detail, you can give us a call at our number listed below, and you can also drop by our web site at www.,TroyerPerformance.com - click on "Shop"once the home page loads & then you'll see all the individual sections - Intake, Exhaust, Superchips, and so on.

Best of luck with your truck,

Old 10-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Thank you Mike. If I understand you correctly, the superchip can be had with 2 programs; any 2 of the 3; 87 octane, 91-94 towable, and 91-94 max performance.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes sir, that is *exactly* correct.

The traditional Superchip module is available in a single program version (Part# 1100), or in the 2-program Flip Chip version (Part# 1300) - it's the 2-program Flip Chip that can store any 2 programs, and it has a simple 2-position toggle switch already installed so you can instantly switch back and forth between the 2 different programs. This is what I use in my vehicle, and I can switch to the other program *instantly* just by flipping the switch - with the Micro Tuner, it takes about 10 minutes to change programs, as you have to reflash the PCM to accomplish that.

One other nice feature about the 2-program Superchip Flip Chip is that it's price also includes the cost of any *custom* tuning needed at time of purchase - with the sole exception of superchargers, forced-induction tunes cost a bit more. So if someone had say, larger injectors, an aftermarket MAF, ported cylinder heads, nitrous oxide, etc., the tuning required would all be included in the price of the Flip Chip.

Have fun,

Old 10-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Micro Tuner Questions